Edema of the upper eyelid is a common phenomenon that can occur as a result of external or internal negative factors. It can appear as a single symptom or be accompanied by additional signs, occur in one eye or both at the same time. First of all, the swollen eyelid is a serious aesthetic defect, but do not forget that it can serve as a signal of serious malfunctions in the body. For what reasons does edema of the upper eyelid of one eye occur and how to get rid of the problem?
Edema of the upper eyelid of one eye - causes and treatment
Why does the upper eyelid swell?
The tendency of the eyelids to edema is due to their anatomical structure - they consist of loose fabric (predominantly subcutaneous fat) and a large number of blood vessels. If too much fluid has accumulated over the centuries, edema occurs quickly enough and can last for several days. The upper part of the eye increases in size, as a result of which the section of the eyes narrows, the skin acquires a red or cyanotic shade, as well as an unhealthy shine, the tissues become dense to the touch.
Anatomical structure of the century
Depending on the causes that caused the pathology, edema of the upper eyelid can be inflammatory, non-inflammatory, allergic or traumatic. In each case, it may be accompanied by additional symptoms (itching, pain, fever, general symptoms) and requires appropriate treatment.
There are many reasons why the upper eyelid swells.
Attention: swelling of the tissues must be distinguished from a violation called ptosis, or omission of the upper eyelid - in the second case, the eyelid does not increase in size and does not blush, but falls, covering part of the eyeball.
Edema of one upper eyelid most often occurs with eye diseases, less often with acute respiratory viral infections, sinusitis, sinusitis and other diseases accompanied by an inflammatory process in the sinuses. Distinctive signs of such conditions are itching, a sensation of tingling and burning, tearing, photophobia. Most often, the eyelid swells with barley, conjunctivitis, blepharitis, dacryocystitis, abscesses, phlegmon and erysipelas.
Allergic conjunctivitis in a child
Table. Diseases in which the eyelid swells.
|Disease||Reasons and features of the course|
|The disease develops due to the ingress of pathogenic microorganisms (most often Staphylococcus aureus golden) on the surface of the eye, which causes inflammation of the eyelash hair follicle. A swelling with purulent contents occurs in the lesion, the eyelid turns red, swells and hurts when pressed.|
| ||Inflammatory processes in conjunctivitis develop in the mucous membrane of the eye and are accompanied by redness of the eyeball, sensation of a foreign body and sand in the eye, photophobia, secretion of clear secretion or pus.|
| ||The cause of the disease is inflammation of the lacrimal sac, which prevents the normal outflow of fluid. Symptoms include redness, pain, and swelling, which are located closer to the inner edge of the eye.|
| ||Severe pathology of a chronic nature resulting from the inflammatory process of the edges of the eyelids. Signs include eyelid edema (usually around the edges).|
Infectious and inflammatory diseases (abscess, phlegmon)
|Inflammation of the tissues of the eyelids, which usually develop as a result of a violation of the integrity of the skin and the entry of pathogens into the wound.They are accompanied by severe edema of the eyelid, impaired mobility, pain, in severe cases - fever, headaches, general weakness.|
Edema of the eyelid with inflammation of the sinuses is most often observed in childhood, but can also occur in adults. Patients are concerned about nasal congestion and purulent contents, headache, a feeling of heaviness in the sinus area, general weakness, fever and chills. This condition requires immediate medical attention, as it can cause decreased vision and other serious complications.
Non-inflammatory edema of the century
Non-inflammatory edema of the eyelids is most often observed in the morning after sleep, is not accompanied by redness, local temperature increase and severe pain. The skin usually does not seem hot, but pale and cool, sometimes with a pronounced vascular network. The causes that cause this condition include:
- systemic diseases (disruption of the cardiovascular system, kidneys, thyroid gland, digestive tract),
- impaired circulation or outflow of lymph,
- oncological diseases of the eye tissue,
- excessive consumption of salty foods,
- improper lifestyle, lack of sleep, eye strain,
- bad habits.
Eyelids may swell due to improper lifestyle
In some cases, non-inflammatory edema of the eyelids disappears on their own after normal rest and lifestyle correction. If they appear with a certain regularity, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible and establish the cause of the swelling.
If the cause is inflammation of the eye, the skin, as a rule, turns red, the presence of a foreign object in the eye is felt, pain and itching are observed. Such symptoms usually accompany inflammatory diseases of the visual system:
- Barley. Most often has unilateral localization. At the site of inflammation, a small round formation occurs, which causes itching and pain. Sometimes accompanied by an increase in body temperature.
- Conjunctivitis. Inflammation of the conjunctiva with characteristic symptoms: redness and irritation of the skin, purulent-mucous secretions, which lead to adhesion of the eyelids, as well as itching and pain.
- Furunculosis. It is accompanied by the appearance of ulcers, severe swelling and pain when touched.
- Erysipelas. Pathology, which is characterized by redness of some areas of the skin, including the upper eyelids. It is characterized by general intoxication, high temperature (39-40 °), as well as rashes, inside which there is a clear liquid. In severe cases, the appearance of gangrene and ulcers.
- Endophthalmitis. Inflammatory disease of the inner membranes of the eyeballs. Symptoms include sharp pain in the eyes, blurred vision, and swelling of the eyelids.
Other causes of a tumor of the upper eyelids can be blepharitis, halazion, ocular herpes, abscess, demodicosis.
If the eyelid is swollen, but there is no redness of the skin, pain and itching, the causes may be non-inflammatory in nature:
- Wrong way of life. Lack of sleep, night work, insomnia can lead to an unpleasant symptom in the form of swollen eyelids.
- Lack of vitamins, improper diet.
- Neglect of hygiene procedures, the use of low-quality cosmetics.
- Hypothermia. If the eye is blown out, the eyelids tend to increase in size and hurt.
- The abuse of alcohol-containing drinks that are able to retain fluid in the body.
- Overstrain of the visual organs as a result of prolonged work at the computer.
- Weakened immunity.
- Pathology of the internal organs.Among the diseases that can provoke swelling, it can be noted: kidney disease, disruption of the heart and blood vessels, endocrine pathologies, including diabetes mellitus, gynecological diseases, as well as the early stages of the flu or the common cold.
- Benign or malignant neoplasms, such as papilloma, lipoma, cancer and others.
In order to choose the right treatment, it is necessary to accurately identify the provoking factors. For this, first of all, you should pay attention to the symptoms.
Upper eyelid edema - symptoms
Many inflammatory eye diseases begin with a slight itching in the eyelids. Due to allergies or the spread of infection, inflammation, the skin of the lower or upper eyelid undergoes a change: it turns red, stretches due to fluid accumulation, painful rashes appear on it, etc. Symptoms can be very different and depends on the cause of the disease.
Swollen eyelid - what could it be? If barley matures, then in addition to itching and redness of the skin, the eyelid will severely burn and hurt due to edema. Usually in this case, the painful condition is one-sided, but with allergies, the eyelids of two eyes immediately swell. If, in addition to edema, a person has abundant lacrimation, the conjunctiva turns red and small rashes appear on the skin of the eyelids, this may indicate the development of herpetic viral conjunctivitis. That's why you should not start treatment on your own, because the treatment plan largely depends on the cause of the disease. If the patient is allergic, then this person’s eyes will be swollen, and cough and runny nose are also possible. For allergies, antihistamines, adrenaline, corticosteroids are prescribed, and for viral infections, antiviral drugs, and for bacterial infections, antibiotics.
Edema of the eyelid - symptoms:
- itching, redness, photophobia,
- sore eyelids on palpation (one or two),
- purulent discharge from the eyes and severe lacrimation are possible,
- red eyes, volumetric swelling, which prevents the opening of the upper eyelid,
- sores on the eyelids, barley, etc.
Swollen upper eyelid - what to do? If you find yourself having unpleasant symptoms, you have an eyelid or eye pain, be sure to consult a doctor for qualified medical care. Eye diseases are treated for a long time, and if adequate treatment is not received, undesirable complications may appear and then the treatment period lasts up to two to three months.
If the eyelid turns red and hurts, the causes may be mechanical damage to the organs of vision:
- most often, the eyelids swell after bruises, bumps or scratching. In this case, pain occurs when blinking and pressure on the skin,
- In addition, the eyelids may swell due to the penetration of a foreign object (metal shavings, dust, insects). In addition to edema, tearing, pain, redness of the skin,
- swelling of one eye occurs as a result of an insect bite. In addition to swelling, wounds are visible on the eye, blue skin and pain may occur,
- thermal burns, exposure to high temperatures or ultraviolet radiation are often accompanied by swelling of the eyes. In more severe cases, burn vesicles may appear.
Mechanical injuries and eye injuries require immediate medical attention.
Reasons why the upper eyelid may swell
What can cause the eyes to swell? Swelling of the eyelids in the morning - one or two, without vivid symptoms in the form of itching and burning, extensive swelling, often indicates a violation of sleep patterns and excessive eye strain. Also, the eyelids may swell due to excessive consumption of foods high in salt, which traps water in the body.In order to avoid this phenomenon subsequently, it is necessary to protect your eyes from overwork, balance the diet, limiting the amount of salty, fatty and smoked foods, reduce the amount of salt consumed, and increase the volume of fluid.
Swollen eyelid? What can it be and how to quickly eliminate the swelling? Unfortunately, an unhealthy lifestyle may not be the only source of problems with swelling of the eyelids. Among the common causes there are much more serious diseases caused by the activity of viruses, bacteria, weakened immunity, inflammatory and tumor processes. Swelling can be like two centuries at once, or one.
Edema of the eyelid - causes:
- allergy to plant pollen, dust, food, animal hair - with allergies, the eyelids of two eyes often swell, swelling of the entire face is also noted, urticaria may occur,
- barley, boil, halazion, dacryocystitis and other diseases of the eyelids - usually one eyelid swells, the disease should be treated only after consulting a doctor to prevent complications,
- eyelids can swell as a result of trauma, tattooing - in this case, in addition to swelling, bluish hematomas will be visible,
- pathology of the cardiovascular system - with this cause of the disease, swelling of the eyelid is more pronounced in the morning, among the symptoms may be swelling of the veins,
- difficult pregnancy - in the last trimester, many women disrupt the kidneys, which are pressed by the fetus and amniotic fluid — the eyes, face and legs may swell due to this.
In some cases, eye eyelid edema passes quickly, while in others the situation is complicated, and treatment lasts for weeks. Why is this happening and my eyes hurt for a long time? Because the causes of swelling are different and only a qualified specialist can determine them, who will prescribe the necessary tests, take into account the anamnesis and draw up the correct treatment plan.
- The inflammatory nature of edema. Inflammation is caused by damage to the organ of vision by bacteria. The main symptom is redness and processes of suppuration, due to a similar secret, and swelling appears. Inaction is forbidden, inflammation progresses and leads to dangerous consequences, which it will be impossible to eliminate conservatively.
- Non-inflammatory (passive edema). The category includes factors of external influence and pathology of internal organs and systems. It is easy to shield oneself from external factors, it is enough to normalize the lifestyle, but diseases must be treated and preventive measures taken to prevent their occurrence. Localization advantage is bilateral, swollen eyes in the morning.
- Allergic The main reason is the contact of the eyelid region or the entire eye with the allergen (bite of any insect, pet hair, dust, fluff, etc.), or with the ingress of the allergen through ingestion, in the latter case I provoke an allergy to food products and symptoms do not appear right away. Allergic edema of the eyelid begins to develop immediately with progressive symptoms - the eye begins to swell rapidly, redden. If no action is taken, choking attacks are likely.
People who are aware of the presence of allergies should always carry anti-allergic medicines with them.
Here is a list of diseases that cause swelling of the upper eyelid.
- Conjunctivitis. Among the symptoms are abnormal discharge from the mucous membrane, which makes it difficult to open the eye after sleep due to drying of the secretion on the eyelashes. There is an increased secretion of tears, itching, purulent secretion, the eye itches. Treatment is carried out by local procedures - washing, drops and ointments.
- Barley. A soft bump forms at the edge of the eye. Localization is more often on the lower eyelid, but is not excluded from above. The bump is filled with pus, it is forbidden to squeeze out yourself, the abscess itself should burst. The reason is weak immunity.It is treated by applying ointments and eye drops.
- Trachoma. Chlamydia provokes. Veko does not swell immediately, but after a while.
- Endophthalmitis. A purulent secret is formed in the eye tissues and glands of the eyelids. May cause swelling and redness appears.
- Bazedov’s disease. Violation of the thyroid gland, leading to swelling of the eyelids in the eyes, excessive skin moisture and bulging of the eyeball. Disrupted sleep due to discomfort.
- Halazion. At the initial stage of development, it resembles barley, but progressing affects the cartilage of the eyelid and acquires a chronic form. Symptoms immediately appear brightly, the formation turns red and burns, a swelling is observed, then the symptoms decrease, and the affected area acquires a denser structure with the presence of pain.
- Blepharitis. Occurrence provoke bacteria. The extreme part of the eyelid is inflamed. Symptoms include redness and swelling, discomfort and peeling of the skin.
- Eye Herpes. In the body, the herpes virus may not manifest itself in any way until the immune system is reduced and may appear on any mucous areas of the body. Symptoms: the eye swells, pain during blinking and a cloudy picture.
- The formation of the oncological process. The tumor that forms may resemble swelling over the eyes.
- Blepharoconjunctivitis. Simultaneous mucous membrane and edges of the eyelids.
- Eye tuberculosis. Itself, as a rule, does not occur, but develops with existing pulmonary tuberculosis.
- Hemophthalmus - damage to blood vessels in the eye and not the upper eyelid, blood circulation is disturbed and edema appears.
The occurrence of many symptoms at the same time (swelling, peeling of the skin, itching and redness) can talk about seborrheic dermatitis, intolerance to cosmetics, overdrying of the organ of vision, rapid changes in temperature indicators among, age-related changes.
Causes of edema in only one eye
If swelling occurs in one eye, it is most often triggered by colds, for example, when the eye is bloated.
A mechanical local effect on the left or right organ is shock to the eye, it begins to swell and hurt, the skin acquires a bluish tint. Such puffiness does not require a scrupulous approach to treatment, as it passes away with time. It is enough to apply cold compresses. The magnitude of the swelling and the convergence period depends on the applied force during the injury.
Another reason is an insect bite (midges, mosquitoes, wasps, bees and others). It is dangerous only in case of an allergic reaction. Otherwise, the tumor disappears on its own within a few days.
Swollen eyelids may present with additional symptoms. If these are pathological factors or injuries, you can feel itching and burning, increased tearing and unnatural discharge (purulent), peeling of the skin.
A general increase in temperature due to an infectious lesion is not excluded.
With an injury, the skin gradually begins to change its color, at first it becomes slightly blue, at the end it acquires the color of plum.
- pale skin tone
- an increase in swelling to large sizes, as a result of which vision is completely blocked until the edema decreases.
Diagnosis of the cause of swelling
The main diagnosis is always a visual examination of the swollen upper eyelid. Often, the doctor can immediately make a diagnosis. Otherwise, other diagnostic methods are carried out:
- general urine analysis to identify pathologies with the kidneys,
- blood is donated for general analysis and biochemistry,
- the heart is examined by means of an ECG,
- CT and MRI.
To make the diagnosis as effective as possible, the patient is sent to specialized specialists. This is necessary if there is no confirmation of the diagnosis in the ophthalmic part.
Diagnosis is an important stage, the result of treatment directly depends on it.
Treatment according to cause
With an eye injury, cold compresses will help get rid of edema. Wrap an ice cube in a cloth and attach to the upper eyelid for 1-2 minutes, then take a break and do the procedure again. Cold cannot be kept for a long time due to possible frostbite on the skin. Instead of an ice cube, you can take any other frozen foods, or apply a chilled spoon. This will not save you from puffiness completely, but to some extent will contribute to the reduction of unpleasant symptoms and a speedy recovery.
In case of an allergic reaction, it is worth excluding the allergen and the edema will gradually begin to subside. With strong manifestations, an antihistamine should be taken.
Possible asthma attacks and the occurrence of Quincke's edema require an ambulance call and further monitoring of patients in a medical facility.
Possible groups of drugs for an allergic reaction in the table.
|Drops||Ketotifen, Cromohexal, Allamine, Allergodil |
gallery link = "file" columns = "2"
|Antihistamines||Loratadin, Suprastin, Claritin |
gallery link = "file" columns = "2"
|Vasoconstrictor drugs||Vizin, Naphthyzin |
gallery link = "file" columns = "2"
|Hormone-containing medicines||Dex-Gentamicin Ointment|
With edema caused by lack of sleep, fatigue or excessive accumulation of fluid will help:
- cold packs
- massage treatments
- correction of drinking regimen and nutrition,
- healthy sleep and good rest,
- giving up alcohol
- taking diuretics from edema to remove excess fluid.
If swollen above the eye due to a violation in the lymphatic system, lymph outflow is difficult, lymphatic drainage is prescribed by applying a low-frequency electric current. The procedure is called electrical stimulation and it is carried out using two electrodes, bringing to the desired location on the face.
With any deviations in the body that cause swelling of the eyelids, it is wrong to try to get rid of the symptom itself. The symptom is a consequence of the cause, therefore it must be eliminated, after which the edema itself will disappear.
In parallel with the treatment of the disease, a qualified specialist will prescribe decongestants, they will help alleviate the condition during therapy.
To eliminate swollen eyelids caused by deviations of internal organs, treatment should be aimed at normalizing their work. In this case, a specialized specialist, and not an optometrist, is engaged in therapy.
When bacterial and infectious eye lesions occur, medications of the appropriate spectrum of action are prescribed: antibiotics, antiviral and decongestants. What to do if the eyelid swells due to eye pathologies, and how to treat an ophthalmic disease, only the attending physician should determine. Self-medication will not only be futile, but will aggravate the situation.
- Barley. Pus cannot be squeezed out. The best option is to wait for his independent breakthrough. Warming up will benefit and accelerate the process of pus exiting. During therapy, anti-inflammation drugs are also used to prevent infection, so that escaping pus does not cause the inflammatory process of the eye mucosa. Medicines are used in the form of ophthalmic solutions. When barley does not grow from the top of the eyelid, but from the inside, ointments are also applied from the inside, it is not so pleasant and pain is present.
- Conjunctivitis. Symptoms are most pronounced when there is a pathology due to bacteria. Treatment is carried out medically with the help of such drugs: Pikloksidin, Tetracycline ointment, Ciprofloxacin, Gentamicin ointment, Erythromycin, Ofloxacin, Levomycetin, Albucid.
- Blepharoconjunctivitis. Medical treatment, local and general. Useful topical treatment of the eye with antiseptics.
- Trachoma. Sulfanilamide antibiotics of local action are used in the form of drops and ointments. In the case of a follicular mass, it is removed by surgery.Edema may be present for another 14 days and needs to continue taking medication.
- Herpes. Drug therapy with such medicines: Acyclovir, Okomistin, Opatanol, Diclof, Miramistin, Naklof, under ophthalmological supervision.
- Blepharitis. Treatment with drugs: Maxitrol, Dermalan, Phloxal, Miramistin, Toradex, Blefarogel No. 2.
- Fat hernia. Excised using surgery performed by a plastic surgeon. After the intervention, the vision becomes clearer and all concomitant signs disappear, including swelling.
All of the listed drugs in the description of the treatment methods above can not be included in the therapy on their own. Only a specialist has the right to determine how to remove swelling, which drops to use for this. The treatment process is necessarily monitored by the attending physician with periodic scheduled examinations.
Some other situations in which it is important to be able to act correctly.
- Chem. reagents. At the first contact of the substance with the shell of the eye, it is worth rinsing with cold running water. We lower the head under the tap, open the eye with the hand as wide as possible and try to ensure that the water contacts the eye so that it completely rinses and drains. Further, a set of actions is determined only by a doctor. It is necessary to limit eye contact with the environment (cover it with a napkin, apply a bandage) and deliver the victim to the hospital.
- Foreign body. Any small particle that gets into the eye can damage its shell and impair vision, causing more severe symptoms. Therefore, it is better not to take any measures, but to get rid of a foreign body in the hospital. But you can perform a number of simple manipulations at home. First, tighten your eyes tightly with several approaches to enhance the secretion of tears, they will help to actively wash out the particles. If a foreign particle is visible in the eye area, it should be removed with a light touch of a soft, sterile tissue, such as a handkerchief. When it is not visible, it means she crept under the upper eyelid, it needs to be protruded, possibly with the help of a person nearby. Next, using a cotton tow, remove the foreign body. Ineffective attempts require contacting a medical facility.
Treatment with folk remedies at home is advisable only with the non-inflammatory nature of puffiness. Otherwise, such treatment will not give a result, it does not eliminate the pathological cause of edema, but only acts locally on the site of the tumor, reducing it.
All folk remedies are divided into local and internal - applying with lotions to the site of edema and taking orally, respectively.
- Parsley helps to remove swelling from the top of the eye. Preparing a decoction of the seeds or the plant itself. Recipe number 1: 2 table. tablespoons of seeds are poured with a glass of boiled water, covered with a lid and wait 15 minutes. The broth needs to be filtered. Dosage 1 tablespoon per day, 4 single doses. Recipe No. 2: 4 stems of the plant, along with leaves and roots, are boiled in a half liter of water for half an hour, slightly sweetened with sugar. Dosage: 100 g of drink per day. Amount of use: three times a day.
- Flaxseed in the amount of four tables. tablespoons are prepared by 15-minute boiling in a liter of water. Take after filtering 100 g 3 times a day during the day.
- Carrot tops. One table. a spoonful of chopped vegetable leaves steamed in a covered glass of boiling water. Three times daily intake of half a glass.
- One serving of honey is mixed in two servings of warm water and used as an alternative to pharmacy drops. Efficiency is available with the development of conjunctivitis.
- Freshly squeezed cucumber juice and boiling water in the same amount are mixed and with the help of cotton pads applied in the inflamed eye. Use only when cold.
Edema of the upper eyelid is an accumulation of fluid in the intercellular space. The fact is that the skin around the eyes practically does not contain fat cells that could absorb excess water.
The eyelids, both upper and lower, are prone to the formation of edema. This is due to the anatomical structure of this area. The eyeball is surrounded by loose adipose tissue, prone to fluid accumulation. With an excess of moisture, these tissues bulge out and swell as if. These tissues are restrained by a thin connective membrane. The skin of the eyelids, not rich in elastic fibers, turns into a bag, while eyelid edema becomes noticeable in the morning. Thin skin of the eyelids, stretching, can itch. It has a branched vascular network, and this under certain conditions promotes the transfer of moisture from the bloodstream to the surrounding tissue.
Swelling around the eyes can occur for almost any reason. If the upper eyelids are swollen, the causes can be serious, requiring treatment, and in some cases they are quite commonplace and lie in the details, eliminating which a person will regain a healthy appearance.
With repeated swelling of the upper eyelid, it is necessary to identify the causes of the symptom that occurs, so as not to miss the initial stage of the disease that provoked this manifestation.
Most often, edema of the upper eyelid manifests itself in the morning. The causes of this phenomenon can be harmless, but sometimes swelling indicates the presence of a disease.
- Drinking large amounts of salt, which is known to trap fluid in tissues.
- Excess fluid drunk the night before. At night, processes in the body slow down, including the processing of water by the kidneys.
- Tobacco smoking, alcohol use, the use of psychotropic substances,
- Crying, in which the secretion of tear fluid increases and blood circulation in the eye area is activated. Often wiping away tears leads to irritation of the tissues of the eyelids, as a result of which it can swell.
- Careless manipulations of the hands, for example, when the eyes itch. In this case, microtrauma and edema are also possible.
- Stressful situations and lack of sleep,
- Uncomfortable head position during sleep,
- Cosmetology procedures. The appearance of edema of the upper eyelid is possible with injections of Botox or its analogues, after eyelid tattoo, mesotherapy,
- Individual predisposition to edema,
- Visual overwork
- Eye strain during small jobs, driving a car,
- When abusing computer games (in a child),
- After an insect bite, an injury,
- Hormonal fluctuations in the various phases of the menstrual cycle,
- Chronic fatigue and lack of sleep,
- Allergic reaction to cosmetics.
If the upper eyelids swell, the cause may be hidden in the banal aging process. Age-related changes in the body significantly increase the tendency to edema.
Edema can be inflammatory or non-inflammatory in nature. In inflammatory reactions, as already mentioned, additional symptoms occur.
If the eyelid of one eye swells, then it can be caused by ailments such as barley, meibomite or halazion. If the infection touched the conjunctiva, then inflammation of the conjunctiva develops. In this case, the tissues of the lower and upper eyelids of the eye can be affected simultaneously.
Swelling of the inflammatory etiology also occurs with colds, various sinusitis. If unilateral itching occurs and the upper eyelid swells, then the causes are often associated with local exposure to an allergen or irritant. Often this is manifested by allergies around the eyes.
The treatment of barley in the eye with medicines is described in the article.
Pathological conditions that provoke edema of the century:
- Diseases of the heart and blood vessels,
- Pathologies of the kidneys and urinary tract
- Inflammation in the sinuses,
- Violations in the cervical zone.
With pathologies of the cardiovascular system, swelling is often localized in the lower body, respectively, the lower eyelid swells, getting worse in the evening. In difficult cases, edema can spread to the face and eyelids. They are accompanied by fluctuations in blood pressure, shortness of breath, heart rhythm disturbances.
Morning edema - it is often a sign of kidney and urinary tract diseases. This affects the tissues of the face and upper limbs. Swelling on the eyelids combined with impaired urination, increased blood pressure.
If the upper eyelids swell regularly for a long period in the morning, you should consult a doctor and pass the appropriate tests.
In children, edema of the upper eyelids is most often colds. However, morning edema of the eyes in a child can be a sign of a dangerous condition, for example, increased intracranial pressure.
Swelling of the upper eyelid in infants can occur due to teething, as well as milk intolerance or impaired protein metabolism. Older children may suffer from edema with prolonged pastime behind a computer screen, tablet, etc.
Improper daily routine, passive lifestyle, oxygen starvation due to lack of walking - all this can lead to swelling of the upper eyelid.
Prevention measures for edema of the upper eyelid:
- Timely treatment of inflammatory diseases,
- Limiting the intake of salt and liquid,
- Giving up tobacco and alcohol,
- Healthy lifestyle,
- Physical education
- Tempering events
- Regular comprehensive medical examination,
- Observation by an allergist and compliance with his recommendations (for allergy sufferers),
- Compliance with safety regulations in the workplace.
So, the cause of swollen eyelids may be a symptom of usual fatigue, an improper lifestyle, or a signal of the presence of a systemic disease. If this phenomenon occurs regularly, you should seek the help of a doctor. Remember that prevention is the best treatment. Any inflammatory process is faster if a normal metabolism is maintained in the body, and a person takes care of his health and leads a positively active lifestyle.
Also read in the material what to do if swelling of the upper eyelid appears.
Most often, the upper eyelid swells due to ophthalmic disorders. This happens much less frequently with other pathologies that are not related to the organ of vision.
The main eye causes:
Such a disease leads to edema of the mucous membrane of the eye and its eyelids. It appears due to the introduction of viruses into the conjunctiva and the development of the inflammatory process there. The patient complains of a feeling of sand in the eye, lacrimation, photophobia, decreased visual acuity. It happens that the patient cannot open his eyes due to increasing edema. Most often, one eye is first affected, and after a few days the infection passes to the other.
Infection affects the edges of the eyelids, which makes them hyperemic and swollen. Severe itching and discomfort appear. The cause of the disease is an inflammatory process caused by bacteria, ticks.
The disease develops acutely with inflammatory lesions of the hair follicle of the eyelid. Over time, a swelling forms, which gradually turns into a "bump". It contains purulent contents. After a few days, the formation is opened with the release of pus. The eyelid of the patient is locally hyperemic and swollen.
It is a chronic inflammation of the edge of the eyelid, affecting the meibomian gland and cartilage in the process. It develops when a duct obstruction occurs. Secret begins to accumulate in it, which is an excellent medium for the propagation of pathogenic microbes.
As a result, a dense rounded formation is formed in the thickness of the cartilage, painless on palpation.Halazion becomes noticeable on the part of the skin and creates an aesthetic defect.
This is an acute inflammation of the lacrimal gland. The causative agents of infection are viruses or bacteria. Most often this is a secondary process. It develops against the background of other diseases - acute respiratory infections, mumps, tonsillitis, measles, rotavirus and others.
The patient has a pronounced swelling of the upper eyelid. The pathological area is hyperemic and painful. There is a strong ongoing lacrimation.
Other inflammatory causes are ARI, frontal sinusitis.
Edema of allergic origin most often occurs suddenly and is often accompanied by itching, redness and discomfort. Additional symptoms may include nasal congestion, skin rash, and tearing. Allergies are caused by food, hygiene products, household chemicals, cosmetics, as well as plant pollen, animal hair and insect bites.
Allergic edema of the century
There are two types of allergic edema of the eyelids - allergic dermatitis and Quincke's edema. With dermatitis, swelling is not very pronounced, but is always accompanied by redness and itching. Quincke's edema, on the contrary, is quite extensive (sometimes a person can’t even open his eyes), and there are no additional symptoms, but they are the most dangerous for the patient, as they can go to the respiratory system.
Symptoms of Quincke's edema
Diagnosis of edema of the upper eyelid
Swelling of the eyelids with allergies occurs as a result of the interaction of an allergic agent with the human immune system. The most dangerous are allergens that have got inside the body. You can determine the type of allergen that caused the swelling by passing the necessary blood tests. To do this, seek the advice of an allergist.
It is not necessary to independently treat an allergy, as its symptoms can become more pronounced. The liquid, which during edema lingers in the deep layers of the epidermis, gives edema and not only forever, but can affect the larynx, tongue, lips, which is very life-threatening. In order to confirm an allergy or to refute a similar disease, diagnosis is necessary.
Diagnosis of edema of the upper eyelid - features:
- a visual examination by a specialist who takes into account the edema of one eyelid or two, whether it hurts or not, studies the medical history: the presence of allergies, other inflammatory processes, etc.,
- allergen tests for suspected allergies,
- blood tests, urine tests - are prescribed in case of suspected kidney disease,
- scraping from the eyelid, if demodectic blepharitis is suspected,
- the fundus is checked if the disease is often repeated - a complete diagnosis will exclude the development of hidden pathologies.
During a visual examination, the doctor takes into account the nature of the edema - bilateral or unilateral, the severity of pain, whether there is hyperthermia, etc. And only after a thorough diagnosis is the treatment regimen determined.
If the upper eyelid is swollen, itching and lacrimation are observed, an allergic reaction can be suspected. Some foods, such as citrus fruits, chocolate, seafood, as well as other allergens - plant pollen, animal hair, cosmetics, can become provocateurs.
Allergies can occur both in the form of a small edema and provoke intense swelling of the entire face, up to anaphylaxis and Quincke's edema.
In this case, you should act immediately: exclude interaction with the allergen and take an antihistamine medicine. If symptoms worsen, call an ambulance.
The tissues of the eyelids are very delicate and thin, so any trauma can cause bleeding and swelling. As a rule, this situation does not require medical intervention - you only need to observe eye hygiene and make sure that the infection does not get into the wound.In women, eyelid edema is often observed after a tattoo procedure, which involves driving a pigment under the skin of the eyelids. If the procedure was carried out correctly, puffiness will subside in a day, but too deep administration of the pigment or its poor quality can cause allergies and inflammation.
For reference: in rare cases, edema is a consequence of the anatomical structure of the eyes - if the membrane between the skin and the fat layer is too thin, any negative effect can cause swelling.
Excessive fluid intake
The most harmless provoking factor for swelling of the eyelids may be the abuse of a liquid (water, alcohol, carbonated drinks) in the evening. Such swelling in most cases quickly passes on its own. Refusing to drink the liquid before going to bed, you can quickly solve the problem.
Treatment of edema of the upper eyelid
With timely access to a doctor, the prognosis of the course of the disease in most cases will be favorable. So, the upper eyelid has swollen - what should I do? First of all, it is necessary to remove the swelling. Depending on the cause of the disease, the following can help relieve edema: diuretics, cooling eye gels, ice, light massage, eye drops.
How to treat swelling of the upper and lower eyelids:
- allergic edema - if the eyelid is sharply swollen due to allergies, then edema is treated by limiting contact with the allergen, taking antihistamines, and with excessive dryness of the eyes, moisturizing drops are prescribed,
- traumatic edema - applying ice, using ointments with a cooling effect, cold compresses, treatment with antiseptic drugs, applying an anti-inflammatory ointment - this can be effective if the injury is not dangerous, as confirmed by an ophthalmologist,
- inflammatory processes in the form of barley are treated comprehensively - special ointments with an anti-inflammatory effect are used that accelerate the maturation of the boil, which must be carefully wound behind the eyelid, as well as eye drops,
- swelling of the eyelids due to inflammation of the meibomian gland is treated by cleansing the skin of the diseased eye, it will also require treatment with an antiseptic solution before applying the ointment prescribed by the doctor, often it is an ointment with an antibacterial effect,
- swelling of the eyelids with conjunctivitis - antiviral, antibacterial drops, ointments are prescribed to eliminate the cause of the disease.
Swelling of the lower or upper eyelid may not be inflammatory in nature. What should be done in this condition? In this case, treatment is carried out operatively. For the treatment of edema of the upper eyelid, recipes of alternative medicine are often used. They should not be the basis of treatment, but part of complex therapy, which is permitted by official medicine. Only then will it really be effective and safe for the health of the organs of vision.
Why does the upper eyelid of one eye swell
Swelling in one eye is a symptom of more than seven dozen diseases. The appearance of edema is the reaction of the body to stressful conditions or an external stimulus, the loss of the ability to control the normal functioning of cells and tissues. Among the most common conditions leading to edema are called:
- Viruses, infections. A viral disease can be complicated by swelling of the upper eyelids, and swelling in the lower eyelid, or even in the entire eye. In the absence of treatment, inflammation develops, pus begins to stand out from the cavities under the swollen area.
- Allergy. Depending on the type of allergens, ocular edema can occur as a complication of local dermatitis or as part of an extensive swelling of a life-threatening whole face (also known as Quincke's edema, which requires hospital treatment).
- Mechanical injuries. The skin of the upper eyelids is thin and sensitive, so it is easy to injure, scratch, injure with an active solution, decorative cosmetics, etc. A small insect bite, harmless in other cases, on the upper eyelid will cause the formation of edema. The skin is slightly blue. In the absence of subsequent injuries, edema does not progress and diverges on its own after a few days.
- Barley, blepharitis, other eye diseases. Edema of the eyelids, which arose as a complication of other eye diseases, completely disappears only after treatment of the underlying cause.
- Chronic diseases Heart failure, urinary system dysfunction, oncology, etc. - conditions due to which many changes occur in the body. Swollen face – one of the first signs of the disease. If edema appears regularly, without any obvious prerequisites, especially in the morning, then it makes sense to visit not only an ophthalmologist, but also a general practitioner.
- Genetic predisposition. People with thin, sensitive skin may experience eyelid swelling daily. A glass of water, excitement, or intense exercise is the backdrop against which swelling occurs. In this case, the condition usually affects both eyes evenly, swelling subsides within 2-3 hours.
Edema of the upper eyelid in a child
Swelling of the eyelids in childhood is most often caused by a genetic predisposition, allergic reactions or infectious diseases of the eyes (children often have the habit of rubbing their eyes with dirty hands). Allergies and infections require appropriate treatment, and for edema caused by hereditary factors, parents are advised to monitor their child's drinking regimen and daily routine, as well as reduce the amount of salt in his diet. In any case, if this symptom occurs, you should consult your doctor.
Edema in a child
Non inflammatory causes
Most often, swollen eyelids cause such violations:
- cardiovascular disease (heart failure),
- kidney disease (amyloidosis, glomerulonephritis, heavy metal poisoning, renal failure),
- thyroid dysfunction,
- violation of the outflow of blood and lymph,
- oncological neoplasms of the eyes,
- excessive salt intake
- bad habits,
- visual overstrain,
- lack of sleep.
Causes of swelling
The eyelid swells due to weakness and thinness of the skin, oversaturation with capillaries (excess fluid affects the eyes in the first place) and a minimal amount of muscle in the eye area.
Even if you did not encounter painful swelling of the upper eyelids, you probably felt heavy in your eyes - as if something was pressing on the swollen eyelids from above, making it difficult to lift them. If you look at a person complaining of such sensations, you will notice that the swollen eyes seem smaller than usual.
This is due to excess water, which increases the swelling of the upper eyelid of one eye and causes swelling.
Doctors distinguish the following causes of swelling of the upper eyelids:
- Inflammation. It is accompanied by redness, a noticeable increase in the eyelids in size, fever. On palpation - a dull pain in swollen tissues. Inflammatory processes leading to swelling of the upper eyelids can occur both in the eye and in the sinuses.
- Allergen. Veko swells both with the use of an allergenic irritant in food or inhalation, and with physical contact with an allergen. Occasionally, a swollen area may hurt or itch, but it is not recommended to touch or massage the swollen eyelid to avoid mechanical injury.
- Metabolic disease. Both eyes usually swell in the morning, and no complications, redness or pain are observed. Swollen eyelids may temporarily turn pale.
Some popular cosmetic procedures can lead to temporary swelling of the eyelids, which doctors do not consider a sign of the disease.In particular, permanent tattooing causes swelling of the area around the eyes, which completely disappears only 2-3 days after the session.
Methods of treatment, if it hurts, swelling and swelling of the upper eyelid
The methods of therapy depend on the cause of the appearance of swelling of the skin under the eyes:
- if the eyelid swells as a result of excessively drunk liquid on the eve, cold tea compresses, cucumber and potato masks will come to the rescue
- a specific drug is selected for the treatment of inflammatory diseases,
- lack of sleep, addictions, lack of vitamins are corrected by lifestyle changes,
- with eye injuries, first-aid measures are lotions with decoctions of chamomile or linden. For the prevention of infections, antibacterial drops and painkillers are used. It is recommended that you immediately go to the hospital,
- allergic reactions require the use of antihistamines.
You can remove the edema in various ways, including medicines, traditional medicine methods, as well as cosmetics.
How to avoid relapse of the disease
Diseases of the organs of vision, whether it is conjunctivitis, barley, blepharitis or allergies, are directly related to the state of the human immune system. With weakened immunity due to frequent colds, various types of inflammation, infections, the body loses its natural defense and becomes vulnerable to viruses, bacteria and parasites, which provoke the appearance of inflammation and swelling of the eyelids.
What should be done to avoid relapse? If your upper eyelid of one or two eyes is constantly swollen, you should undergo a complete ophthalmological examination and, if everything is normal, just reconsider your lifestyle, paying attention to hardening, proper nutrition and sports. As soon as your body gets stronger, relapses of unpleasant diseases will stop.
Usually pathology develops acutely. Its additional symptoms are severe itching, redness, discomfort, lacrimation with photophobia, nasal congestion.
Swelling of the upper eyelid appears due to the development of an allergic reaction. It can provoke:
- food products
- household chemicals,
- pollen of flowering plants
- insect bites: midges, mosquitoes,
- animal hair.
Swelling of the upper eyelid proceeds as an allergic dermatitis or Quincke's edema. At the first, the symptom is not so pronounced, but it always proceeds with hyperemia and itching.
Quincke's edema is especially dangerous because it can go to the organs of the respiratory system. Its manifestations are strongly pronounced. The patient is not able to open his eyes due to severe swelling.
What can not be done with edema of the eyelids?
In order not to aggravate the situation, with swelling of the upper eyelid, the following manipulations can not be performed:
- warm the affected area
- independently open abscesses, if they are on the skin,
- lubricate the eyelid with concentrated alcohol solutions, as they can cause irritation or burns.
You can not open abscesses yourself
Moreover, it is not recommended to take antibiotics on your own, regardless of the form of the drug - improper use of drugs for oral administration or local treatment can seriously harm the patient.
Effective ways to deal with swollen eyelids at home are:
- Cold compresses. For lotions, you can use either ordinary chilled water, moistening cotton pads in it, or frozen pieces of ice wrapped in cloth. The compress is kept on the eyes for no more than 20 minutes, otherwise the epidermis can be supercooled.
- An effective remedy is a tea compress that will help remove the swelling caused by alcohol abuse. Tea bags are placed on problem areas for 15 minutes.
- Decoctions of chamomile, sage, calendula, linden, which have anti-inflammatory properties, cope well with puffiness. For cooking, you need to dissolve one tablespoon of grass in a glass of boiling water, insist for 15 minutes and filter. A cotton swab is moistened in the resulting liquid and kept in the eyes for at least 30 minutes.
- If the upper eyelid is swollen as a result of fluid retention in the body, you can drink diuretic herbs. Before use, consult a doctor. Among the known plants that contribute to the removal of excess fluid, it can be noted: birch buds, lingonberries, flaxseed, parsley seeds. An infusion of herbs is taken daily for several days. To exclude the elimination of potassium, during treatment it is necessary to adhere to a certain diet: include beans, potatoes, bananas, prunes, spinach, pumpkin, oranges in the diet.
- To cope with swelling, you can use a mask made from parsley. The plant is crushed, mixed with sour cream and laid on cleansed skin for 10 minutes.
- You can hide the signs of overwork with a chocolate mask. To do this, bitter chocolate is heated, mixed with cream and lubricated the problem area. Hold for 15 minutes, then wash with cool water.
Alternative medicine methods can help with non-inflammatory causes of edema. Before using folk recipes, you need to consult a specialist.
Treatment of inflammatory edema of the upper eyelid
To eliminate edema caused by inflammation, drugs with antibacterial or antiviral effects are prescribed. If the swelling is accompanied by a cold or barley, several types of drugs are used: antimicrobial microbes and vitamins for oral administration, antiseptic lavage, anti-inflammatory ointments and drops.
Therapy may include:
- Elimination of the irritant - if the inflammation is caused by contact with the active substance.
- Washing swollen eyes with an antiseptic - with accumulation of pus, soreness, high temperature. Processing is carried out with special care so as not to damage thin skin.
- Instillation of anti-inflammatory drops (Diclofenac, Combinil, Maxitrol, etc.). It is carried out daily. In infections with purulent complications, preference is given to corticosteroid drugs (they are used only when prescribed by the attending physician).
- Anti-inflammatory ointments to alleviate the condition (Zirgan, Solcoseryl, Bonafton, etc.).
- A course of antiviral drugs in accordance with the general symptoms of the patient.
- The course of vitamins, including and in the form of eye drops - to strengthen weakened swollen tissues and restore tone.
In order to quickly remove edema, physiotherapy is prescribed: electrical stimulation, mesotherapy, antiseptic compresses, etc. The admissibility of the procedure is determined by the attending physician.
Drug therapy is used for inflammatory and infectious causes of swelling. It is necessary to treat swelling depending on the type of disease:
- with barley, eye ointments Tetracycline and Erythromycin are used, as well as Okomistin antiseptic drops,
- antimicrobial agents will help cure conjunctivitis (Tobrex, Albucid, Levomycetin, Phloxal),
- purulent pathologies require the use of antibacterial drugs, both internally and locally. For intravenous administration, Ceftriaxone can be prescribed, Erythromycin, Signicef, Tobrex, Albucid are used as eye ointments and drops,
- with dermatitis and allergic manifestations, complex therapy is required. For this purpose, enterosorbents (Enterosgel, Smecta), antiallergic drugs (Claritin, Cetrin) can be prescribed. In severe cases, hormonal medications are used (Dexamethasone, Hydrocortisone). For local administration, drops of Allergodil are suitable,
- if the eyes are swollen as a result of the penetration of a foreign object, Vizin drops will help relieve swelling,
- to reduce pain during burns and injuries, drops of Novocaine, Lidocaine, as well as lotions from anti-inflammatory infusions are used,
- with the viral nature of the edema, antiviral agents are used, for example, Acyclovir ointment. An auxiliary method of treatment is physiotherapy.
Diseases of the internal organs that cause swelling are treated by certain specialists. If you have kidney problems, you should contact your therapist and nephrologist. If there is a malfunction of the heart and blood vessels, it is necessary to consult a cardiologist. Hormonal disorders are treated by an endocrinologist. If you suspect cancer, you need to contact an oncologist.
Diagnosis of edema
If eye swelling does not disappear for a long time or is accompanied by additional symptoms, the patient should consult a doctor for advice. The doctor collects a thorough medical history. He may ask such questions:
- Is there any concomitant pathology on the part of the heart, kidneys, thyroid gland or digestive system?
- Was there contact with allergens the day before? Did the insects bite?
- What additional signs are there? For example, itching, fever, severe pain in the area of swelling.
- Did you carry out various cosmetic procedures the day before?
- Was there a century injury?
- Does the patient abuse salt?
- What time is edema observed? Are they on other parts of the body?
Then the specialist proceeds to the examination. If this is an ophthalmic disease, the doctor checks the vision, performs a biomicroscopy of the anterior segment of the eye, and if necessary, takes a swab-scraping from the conjunctiva. Sometimes you need to do OST, an ultrasound examination of the organ of vision.
With a different pathology, the doctor can perform such additional examination methods:
- radiography of the paranasal sinuses,
- Ultrasound of the heart, kidneys, thyroid gland,
- general urine analysis,
- clinical blood test
- blood chemistry,
- a blood test for thyroid hormones (determining the level of TSH, T3, T4),
- Allergy test.
Treatment of edema caused by mechanical trauma
With edema due to a bruise, scratch or bite, physical trauma is treated first: when the lesion disappears, the edema will pass by itself. Rehabilitation measures may include:
- Cold compresses. As a basis for compresses, chilled decoctions from herbs, solutions with a small addition of drugs, antiseptics, etc. can be used.
- Disinfection of the affected area. Wounds on the eyelids are not considered dangerous, but with infection, purulent infection with complications can begin. Treatment with bacterial agents 2-3 times a day is enough to prevent inflammation.
- Isolation of the affected area. For a calm recovery, the wounded eyelid needs additional protection. The injured eye is covered with a medical bandage or bandages, due to which the wound surface is protected from infection.
You should also understand why there was a lesion of the eyelids and how to prevent its recurrence. Additional funds to eliminate puffiness are not required, eye drops are not prescribed. If the edema does not disappear in 4-5 days, it is recommended to consult a doctor again.
If the cause of the swollen eyelids is not hidden in serious pathologies, you can try to fix the problem with cosmetics. The range of modern creams and ointments for edema under the eyes is very wide: on the shelves of shops you can choose a remedy depending on the budget:
- An inexpensive remedy for edema and bags under the eyes is the Green Pharmacy. The cream contains horse chestnut extract and rutin. Strengthens vascular walls, eliminates swelling. The cost is about 100 rubles.
- Cream-gel for the eyes "Bark" based on caffeine, seaweed, oils, as well as vitamin E. It will help relieve swelling, smooth the skin. Price 400-500 rubles.
- Clinique Serum from bags under the eyes based on caffeine and other natural ingredients. Allows you to relieve swelling, get rid of dark circles. Price - from 2000 rubles.
Pharmaceutical creams and ointments designed to solve other problems also cope well with swelling - Solcoseryl, Proctonis, Retinoic ointment, Curiosin, Zinc ointment, Blefarogel, Relief, Heparin ointment, Troxevasin, Traumeel.
Physiotherapeutic procedures (mesotherapy, electrical stimulation, vacuum or roller massage), which have a beneficial effect on eye tissue, stimulate the removal of excess fluid, showed an excellent effect.
How to get rid of a tumor
Treatment depends entirely on the cause that caused the pathology. Usually, the doctor prescribes a conservative method and physiotherapy.
In some cases, surgery is required. For example, with halazion, it is necessary to dissect the capsule in order to remove its contents. After surgery, the patient completely loses swelling of the eyelid.
The doctor may advise the patient to maintain a healthy lifestyle:
- Completely eliminate bad habits.
- Reduce salt and water intake.
- Get enough sleep: a night's sleep should be at least 8 hours.
Often such simple measures lead to the elimination of swelling.
- Apply heat to the pathological area.
- Try to open the place of the edema.
- Cauterize a place with an alcohol solution.
- Take antibacterial drugs on your own.
Treatment of allergic edema of the upper eyelid
Therapy for an allergic reaction is prescribed depending on the type of allergen and the nature of the collision. There are two cases:
- Direct contact with the mucous membranes of the eye. In this case, only the affected eye swells, local edema and does not spread. Assign soothing anti-allergic drops (Lecrolin, Allergodil, Opatanol, etc.), which are used at least 3-4 times a day.
- General defeat. When responding to a food or respiratory allergen, the edema area is rarely limited to a single eyelid. If both eyes are swollen, a medication that stops the allergic reaction (Suprastin, Cetirizine, etc.) is prescribed to stop the symptoms, depending on the individual characteristics of the patient. If before the patient did not suffer from allergies, it can take up to two weeks to select a medicine. It is important not to delay the appointment with a doctor in order to avoid the development of allergic conjunctivitis.
With allergic eye edema, folk remedies, decoctions and infusions are contraindicated, which can soothe inflammation in other cases. A triggered allergic reaction puts the body in an “emergency” state, because of which the immune system can react to natural components that do not usually cause an allergic attack in a patient.
When to consult a doctor
In some situations, edema should be treated under the supervision of a specialist. The patient should be responsible for his health and immediately consult a doctor if “dangerous” symptoms appear.
What symptoms do you need the help of a doctor:
- Body temperature rose to 38 degrees and above.
- Visual acuity decreased, severe lacrimation and photophobia appeared.
- The patient is disturbed by severe bursting pain in the forehead, perineal region.
- Little urine is released. There is pain in the lumbar region.
- Shortness of breath appeared.
- Every day the edema grows, occupying more and more area.
What you can not do when the eyelids are swollen and sore
If the upper or lower eyelid is swollen and accompanied by painful sensations, do not:
- warm the inflamed areas
- pierce or squeeze pustules,
- apply cosmetics
- scratching the site of inflammation: this can trigger increased swelling,
- wear contact lenses
- smear the eyelids with alcohol-containing solutions: they can lead to irritation and burns,
- use antibiotics on your own, drip antibacterial medications into your eyes.
An improperly selected remedy can not only not show the result, but also harm the body.
Treatment of non-inflammatory swelling
If the eyelids swell regularly, the treatment program is designed to normalize the functioning of the main body systems. Depending on the condition of the patient, it may be recommended:
- Sleep schedule recovery,
- Dietary adjustment, reducing the amount of salt in the diet,
- Restoration of water balance,
- Increased daily physical activity,
- Refusal of bad habits (alcohol, smoking, etc.).
These measures can neutralize the cause of edema, nullifying its further appearance. In order to quickly remove existing edema, cold compresses are applied to the swollen eyes, diuretics with a mild effect are prescribed.
Of physiotherapeutic procedures, the fastest result is given by hardware or manual lymphatic drainage massage. It refreshes the complexion, restores skin and muscle tone, accelerates the divergence of stagnant fluid.
Treatment with drugs and folk remedies
If the eyes are swollen due to the development of inflammation, the doctor prescribes the following groups of drugs:
- Antibiotics. Broad-spectrum drugs are used if the causative agent of the infection is bacteria.
- Antiviral agents. Indicated when the disease is caused by viruses. Can be used in the form of tablets, ointments and eye drops.
- Antihistamines. They eliminate puffiness, itching and discomfort. Indicated for allergic conjunctivitis, dermatitis, Quincke's edema. Available in the form of eye drops and tablets.
- Glucocorticosteroids. They are prescribed for the allergic nature of the pathology. They quickly cope with edema of the upper eyelid, eliminate unpleasant symptoms.
- NSAIDs. Drugs are indicated for severe eye pain and high fever. Medicines of this group fight the inflammatory process.
Surgical treatment of edema of the upper eyelids
In some cases, the excess volume on the upper eyelid cannot be removed with the use of drugs, dispersal of the liquid, etc. This happens if the eyelid becomes full due to the formation of a fatty hernia. It can occur in one eye, or in both eyes immediately against the background of taking hormonal drugs, rapid weight gain, or some endocrine diseases.
It is possible to eliminate the cause of the changed type of swollen eyes - a fat hernia - only with the help of a surgical operation performed by a plastic surgeon. The operation has the following effect:
- Getting rid of the swelling
- Freshness of look, feeling of lightness,
- Restoration of mobility of the upper eyelids,
- Visual enlargement of the eyes.
The procedure is prescribed after determining the state of moving tissues in the swollen eyelids. If the hernia struck the eye, surgical treatment is necessary, since the body alone can not cope with a similar problem.
How to remove swelling folk remedies
Alternative medicine prescriptions may be helpful in controlling eyelid edema. However, they should be used as an auxiliary rather than the main method of therapy. Before using folk remedies, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
- Compress with potatoes.
The tuber is well washed and cleaned. Then it is passed through a grater and mixed with parsley. The resulting mass is wrapped in a gauze and applied to the eyes. Hold for half an hour.
- Chamomile decoction.
1 filter bag is brewed in a glass of boiling water. Allow to infuse for 15-20 minutes. Then take cotton pads and dip them into the solution. Apply them to eyes for 20 minutes.
- The mask of cucumber.
Fresh vegetable grated. The resulting mass is applied to the eyelids.
- Mask of parsley.
Take a bunch of plants and grind it. 1 teaspoon of the product is mixed with two tablespoons of sour cream. Then put the mass on the eyelids and hold for about 20 minutes. At the end of the procedure, the mask is washed off with cool water.
- Dairy compresses.
Take cool milk. Cotton pads are dipped into it, which are then applied to the eyelids. Hold about 15 minutes. At the end of the procedure, rinse your face with warm water, but do not use soap and other cleansers.
- Sage broth.
Take a bag of plants and brew it in 200 ml of boiling water. Let it brew for about 20 minutes. Next, prepare 2 cups. One will have a warm solution, and the other a cold one. Alternately moisten the cotton pads first in a cold, and then in a warm broth. Perform the procedure for about 20 minutes.
- Curd mask.
Cook a little cottage cheese. Wrap it in gauze wipes and apply to eyes for 10 minutes.
- Diuretic broth.
Cook the rose hips. Pour them with 200 ml of boiling water and let it brew. Take half a glass of funds 3 times a day. Due to the diuretic effect, edema will quickly disappear.
To prevent swelling of the upper eyelid, the patient should adhere to simple rules:
- Lead a healthy lifestyle.
- Eliminate addictions - smoking, drinking alcohol.
- Do not eat a lot of salty and pickled dishes.
- Carefully choose decorative cosmetics. Before going to bed, be sure to remove makeup.
- Do not touch eyes with hands.
- Protect eyes from injury.
- Timely treat all infectious diseases.
What to do if the upper eyelid is swollen and sore, is it dangerous?
Excessive accumulation of fluid in the intercellular space is manifested by the fact that your upper eyelids are swollen. One eyelid or both can swell. This symptom can talk about a number of diseases, which will be described below.
How to remove eyelid edema
Edema of the eyelids periodically has to face each of us. This may be the consequences of a hard working week, stress and grief, or, conversely, a fun party lasting until the morning with alcohol.
You can relieve swelling of the eyelids at home using simple improvised means.
If the cause of swelling in any disease, malfunction of the internal organs, it is better not to experiment, but to consult a doctor and use professional means.
What determines the tactics of action
Before removing the edema, it is necessary to establish exactly where it came from and why. The skin itself on the eyelids is very thin and sensitive, almost without fat cells and sebaceous glands. Therefore, if the upper or lower eyelid is swollen, the cause is a local accumulation of fluid or an inflammatory process that entails an increase in the permeability of the walls of the capillaries.
Most often, puffiness of the eyelids is provoked by such factors:
- lack of sleep, chronic overwork,
- the use of salt on the eve, alcohol or just a large amount of liquid,
- after tears
- the use of low-quality decorative cosmetics,
- allergic reactions
- disturbances in the work of internal organs - swollen eyes are often a symptom of a malfunction in the kidneys, thyroid gland, etc.,
- ophthalmic diseases - blepharitis, conjunctivitis, iridocyclitis, eyelid abscess, etc.,
- low blood protein
- infectious diseases not associated with the organs of vision - influenza, tonsillitis, SARS,
- high blood pressure, vegetative-vascular dystonia,
- taking certain medications - antibiotics, sulfonamides, salicylates).
Causes of eyelid edema can be either banal fatigue or an infectious disease.
Also, the cause of ugly swelling on the face can be some cosmetic procedures - for example, tattooing. In most cases, this phenomenon, although unpleasant, is temporary.
But if swelling on the eyelids and bags under the eyes began to be disturbed regularly and standard remedies no longer remove them, it is recommended to consult a doctor and be examined. Cosmetic recipes will not help you, you need to approach the solution to the problem comprehensively.
First of all, it is worth visiting an ophthalmologist and a family doctor. And then go through the following procedures:
- donate blood and urine
- measure arterial and intracranial pressure,
- perform ultrasound examination of internal organs (as an alternative - computed tomography).
Since most often the reason is the difficulty in removing fluid from the body, first of all the doctor will examine the organs associated with this process. It is also necessary to pay attention to whether edema appears on other parts of the body, after which actions, at what time of day. All this will help to establish the cause correctly and find ways to solve it.
Note: in women, the face, in particular, the eyelids, often swell with hormonal changes - before menstruation, during pregnancy, or at the beginning of menopause. If the child’s eyelids are swollen in the summer, the reason may lie in the excessive exposure to ultraviolet radiation, allergies, insect bites.
First of all, the patient who came to the doctor with a similar problem should understand that it is not enough to remove edema from the upper eyelids, this is just a symptom of some kind of violation, allergy or trauma. It is necessary to eliminate the cause, that is, to conduct a full-fledged treatment, which the doctor will select after the diagnosis is made.
Eye Cooling Mask
- In case of allergies, it is necessary to identify an allergen-irritant and limit contact with it. Additionally, local and systemic antihistamines can be prescribed.
- In infectious ophthalmic diseases, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial ointments are used. Well-known drug Floksal. It is applied with barley, blepharitis to swelling three times a day until the symptoms of the disease completely disappear, usually at least five days. Phloxal not only removes edema and redness, but also neutralizes the pathogenic microorganisms that provoked the disease. With conjunctivitis, keratitis, eye drops of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory action are traditionally used. In the acute stage of the disease, drops are administered every two hours, on the second or third day - from two to four times a day.
- For injuries with a hematoma (bruises, bruises), cold compresses are used on the first day, then ointments that stimulate blood circulation and relieve inflammation.
- For internal diseases associated with impaired removal of fluid from the body, diuretics are used - diuretics. Other medications are selected depending on the underlying disease. Once it is cured, the swelling will also pass.
In any case, during the treatment it will not be superfluous to follow a sparing diet and lead a healthy lifestyle if possible. This means that you should not eat salty foods, alcohol, liquid before bedtime, properly allocate time for sleep and rest, and avoid stress.
There are other methods that allow you to quickly and effectively deal with edema of the eyelids above or below the eyes. These include:
- mesotherapy - subcutaneous administration of drugs that stimulate the outflow of excess fluid,
- physiotherapy - microcurrent therapy, manual or vacuum-roller massage,
- blepharoplasty - eyelid skin tightening, elimination of birth defects, cosmetic defects after an injury or surgery,
- cosmetics - creams, lotions, serums, masks.
The main objectives of the treatment are to stop the inflammatory process, stimulate the elimination of fluid from the body, metabolic processes, tighten the skin of the eyelids.
Not all physiotherapy and cosmetic measures are allowed for certain pathologies, therefore a doctor’s consultation and professional treatment monitoring are necessary.
Naturally, along with cosmetic and medication, folk remedies are used.
Why do the upper eyelids swell over the eyes
The simplest reason that you have swelling above your eyes is that you are drinking a lot of fluids the day before. If tissues near the eyes swell rarely, then there is no health hazard. If often, then it is worth undergoing a complete medical examination to identify the disease.
Edema in the upper eyelids can cause other causes, such as changes in the hormonal background in women associated with the menstrual cycle.
What can swell over the eyes?
Swollen and sore upper eyelid: reasons than to treat at home
One of the most common factors when the upper eyelid is swollen and sore is the abuse of salty foods or liquids at night. If the swelling is temporary, there is no health hazard. However, if the eyes swell on a regular basis, it is necessary to undergo a comprehensive examination of the body.
There are inflammatory and non-inflammatory causes of unpleasant bags under the eyes. In addition, swelling can be triggered by mechanical damage to the organs of vision and allergens.
If the upper eyelids are swollen, what to do
With the appearance of edema above the eyes, depending on the cause and manifestations, treatment is prescribed.
- Barley. One of the ointments is applied to the barley area: Tetracycline, Erythromycin, Gentamicin.
- Conjunctivitis is treated with eye drops with an antimicrobial effect: "Albucid", "Tobrex", "Phloxal."
- Purulent diseases. It is absolutely necessary to use antibacterial drugs (Ceftriaxone, Cefotaxime) both intravenously and in the form of eye ointments or drops (Tobrex, Albutsid).
- Somatic diseases, which again caused swelling of the upper eyelids, require treatment by appropriate specialists. A therapist and a nephrologist are involved in kidney diseases, a therapist and a cardiologist are involved in heart diseases, and an oncologist, an ophthalmologist or a dermatologist are involved in oncological diseases, depending on the malignancy.
- With dermatitis and allergic reactions, complex treatment will help relieve swelling of the upper eyelids. Enterosorbents: Enterosgel, Polysorb, Smecta. Antihistamines: Cetrin, Suprastin, Tavegil. Glucocorticosteroids in severe cases: Dexamethasone, Hydrocortisone. Locally, it is necessary to use drops: "Dexamethasone", "Allergodil".
- With a foreign body, Vizin drops will help to remove a small swelling from the upper eyelid. First you need to remove the foreign body.
- In case of injuries, after operations on the visual organ, Vizin drops will help reduce swelling.
Alternative methods of treatment are the use of decoctions of herbs. In the pharmacy you can buy in her filter bags such phytochemicals as “Herbal collection of diuretic”, “Lingonberry leaf”, “Flaxseed”. For a quick effect, you can try putting ice cubes from pure water or from a parsley decoction on your closed eyes.
Swollen upper eyelid - what to do?
The mebium gland is a multiple organ located along the line of the upper and lower eyelids near the eyelashes. Its task is to produce the fat necessary for the formation of a tear film on the eyeball.
It is the problems with this gland that most often cause the appearance of a tumor on the upper eyelid. The excretory channels are clogged for various reasons, fat is not eliminated in a timely manner, pathogenic microorganisms enter it and cause inflammation of the soft tissues.
Acute purulent inflammation of the follicles and sebaceous glands is popularly called barley.
Unfortunately, not everyone visits an ophthalmologist and begins to be treated with folk remedies.Is it worth it to self-medicate, what traditional healers offer us? We will not consider very exotic tips, like wetting the eyes with saliva. Let us dwell only on those which, unfortunately, are used by some patients.
Swelling of the eyelids is a local, localized excess accumulation of fluid in the eyelids. Only 1 eyelid can swell: lower or upper (in most cases). Sometimes this happens with 1 eye - unilateral edema. The attack can be single or recurrent. This deviation is found in both older people and children, although it is mainly adults over 30 years old.
The eyelid is a skin fold, behind which the eye “hides” in case of potential danger: a bright flash, dust, the threat of traumatic injury, etc.
There are 2 layers of the eyelids:
- superficial or anterior - musculocutaneous. The circular muscle consists of the orbital and palpebral parts. When it is reduced, blinking occurs,
- deep or posterior - conjunctival cartilage. Cartilage of the eyelids - plates of very dense connective tissue under the eye muscles. The conjunctiva of the eyelids is a transparent connective membrane covering the posterior surface of the eyelids.
The human body is 70% fluid, most of which is in the cells, and the rest is in the intercellular space. As soon as the water content between the cells exceeds the threshold value of 1/3 of the total volume, edema appears.
The causes of edema of the eyelids can be divided into 3 groups:
- excess pressure in the thinnest blood vessel - capillary,
- a decrease in the level of proteins (especially albumin) and colloid-osmotic (oncotic) blood plasma pressure with the release of water from blood vessels into adjacent tissues,
- an increase in capillary permeability, which occurs after toxic damage, the onset of inflammation, and malfunctioning of nervous regulation.
Bad habits and wrong lifestyle
The most common are bad habits: alcohol and smoking. The body becomes so weakened that it can catch any infection, including provoking swelling of the eyes.
Improper lifestyle, overwork, lack of sleep and a sedentary lifestyle negatively affect the normal functioning of the body.
Edema of the upper eyelid may be the result of excessive pastime in front of a computer.
Another reason is an unhealthy diet, a tendency to limit oneself in everything, to sit on strict diets. Solarium fashion is also detrimental to the health of our eyes. The maximum number of visits to this place should be reduced to 2-3 visits per month. But the reality, unfortunately, is completely different. Hence the health problems.
Drug and cosmetic abuse
Due to prolonged use of drops and ointments for the eyes, allergic dermatitis may develop. This disease provokes swelling of the upper eyelid of one eye. Cosmetics with a large admixture of harmful chemistry can also adversely affect the skin of the eyelids. Cosmetics should be selected very carefully, carefully reading the composition.
Edema of the upper eyelid may be the result of an insect bite or other causes, it passes the very next day. To alleviate your condition and relieve possible itching, you can use local medications.
If there are no visible reasons for the appearance of edema, then consult an endocrinologist. Edema can be a consequence of disorders in the hormonal system.
The cause of edema of the century can be a variety of factors, the main ones include:
- Allergic reaction.
- Inflammatory diseases.
- Not inflammatory (stagnant) phenomena.
- Cosmetology procedures.
The cause of allergic edema is the ingress of an allergen into the human body.It can be contacted, as well as through food or drugs.
The most common disease that is transmitted by contact and causes an allergic reaction is dermatitis.
Dermatitis on the eyelids is contact, atopic, seborrheic.
The eyelids are swollen, sore and bring great discomfort. The upper eyelid is swollen and hurts: there is more than one reason for this:
- Inflammation of the eyelid, which turns red and swollen, is swollen. On palpation, pain is not felt. The inflammatory process can be accompanied by barley, boils.
- Too much fluid intake.
- Pathology of the heart and blood vessels, kidney disease.
- Overwork or hypothermia. In case of overwork, if the eyelid is swollen, it is recommended to do lymphatic drainage massage, in which not only the eyelids are massaged, but also the area around them. In this case, it is worth using special soothing gels that relieve fatigue.
- Vitamin deficiency, violation of sanitation and hygiene.
- Injury to the eyes, eyelids, mechanical damage. This cause may be accompanied by blueness of the eye.
- A bite of an insect.
- Allergy to external irritants. Swelling is manifested sharply and painlessly. Thus, Quincke's edema may manifest.
- Excessive use of alcohol and salted food.
- Violation of sleep and wakefulness.
- The initial stage of acute respiratory viral infection or influenza, infectious diseases of the eyes.
- Some gynecological diseases in women.
For help with eye and tumor injuries
Swelling of the eyes of the upper eyelid: what to do at home
Often, many people do not pay attention to the swollen upper eyelid. Some of them hope that the problem itself will disappear. However, sometimes this condition can talk about pathology in the body. How to understand what treatment is needed, and by what means to return to their previous form, later in the article.
- Share this
- Share this
- To class
Swollen upper eyelid: what to do?
Swollen upper eyelid, what to do and how to be in such a situation? Such and similar questions the girls are often asked. There may be several reasons for this symptomatology. To effectively fix the problem, you have to work hard. The main thing in this matter is to find out the reason for which such a nuisance happened.
Why can the eyelid swell?
First of all, do not panic, try to remember what preceded the appearance of the first symptoms. Maybe you have a cold or a mechanical injury? Sometimes the eyelid swells with infectious diseases. In most cases, the problem can be successfully localized at home, only occasionally can not do without the intervention of a specialist.
There is a disease called adenovirus. A symptom of such a virus is often inflammation of the conjunctiva, because it is it that is most susceptible to infectious disease.
In people, such a disease is called simpler than adenovirus, speaking on it conjunctivitis. If the diagnosis is nevertheless confirmed, then a complex rather than symptomatic treatment is required.
What to do if the upper eyelid is swollen precisely because of conjunctivitis.
- Reduce the load on vision, exclude work at the computer, do not read.
- Avoid being in drafts.
- You can never rub your eyes, thereby spreading the infection.
- If possible, consult a specialist to prescribe drugs.
Now conjunctivitis can really be cured in just a few days.
Cosmetics and beauty treatments
Yes, cosmetics often cause redness and swelling of the eye. If you buy cheap cosmetics of dubious production, then they can easily cause a serious allergic reaction. To remove unpleasant symptoms, it is better for some time to completely abandon makeup. Within a few days, the redness and swelling will go away.
Now very popular is such a procedure as eyelash extensions.In the morning you get up and don’t think about what kind of reflection you see in the mirror, it is always at its best. In principle, there is nothing wrong with the procedure, it is not without reason that it is so in demand in cosmetology salons. But, you can only trust your eyes to the master. You must be completely sure that:
- during the work, high-quality consumables are used,
- the master sanitizes the working tools strictly after each client,
- you do not have any allergic reaction to adhesives.
It is difficult to say who is to blame for the fact that after eyelash extensions, as a result, the client receives not a beautiful appearance, but a headache associated with the treatment of eyelid edema and redness of the eye mucosa.
At home, you can try to fit a swab soaked in a decoction of medicinal herbs to the swollen eyelid. For such purposes, camomile and calendula are not bad. They perfectly relieve an allergic reaction, reduce the feeling of itching.
If you can’t fix the problem within a couple of days, consider removing artificial eyelashes.
The situation is familiar when you drank a lot of liquid at night, and in the morning you can’t recognize your own reflection in the mirror? Most girls are quite familiar with such a nuisance. What to do if in the morning the upper and lower eyelids regularly swell? First of all, analyze your diet.
Perhaps the cause of the unpleasant symptoms is the large amount of salty, spicy foods on the daily menu. Sometimes a diet correction solves the problem with swelling of the eyelid once and for all. If you can’t solve the problem yourself, it’s better to visit the urologist’s office.
It may be that edema of the upper eyelid is just a symptom of a more serious chronic disease.
Barley. Only not in the field, but in the eye!
Have you heard about this? Many since childhood remember how when an incomprehensible white pimple appeared on the upper or lower eyelid, adult uncles and aunts were in a hurry to show the victim nothing more than a fig. Despite the amusement of the situation, the problem is quite serious.
Swollen upper eyelid. What to do? Photos of unfortunate mates are located here. But is it worth it to look for a solution to the problem yourself or run to the doctor? Perhaps the second is better.
Modern drugstores can offer a wide range of drugs that will save the patient from barley. It:
If the problem has not yet reached a huge scale, you can immediately go for help to a pharmacist who can advise a good remedy without a recommendation from an ophthalmologist.
Along with barley, the patient also suffers from edema, redness, pain and itching.
Therefore, it is better to forget about dubious methods of treatment in the form of applying bags of warm salt, rolling out a sore spot with an egg, and even more so figs.
What to do if the upper eyelid is not only swollen, but also hurts?
In most cases, swelling and redness of the eyelid is still accompanied by pain. Tolerate the pain is not worth it. You can use painkillers that suit you. Alternative methods also work well. For example, a compress of grated potatoes will help not only overcome the pain, but also relieve swelling, itching.
If pain occurs, then most likely the problem is serious. Only after receiving mechanical injuries can a logical explanation for the pain be found. Healing ointments can be applied to the bruised place, which relieve swelling, eliminate pain and hide the bruise, if any. Such funds are sold in the public domain at each pharmacy.
If swelling of the eyelids of the eye is a common occurrence
This is not the norm. So something is wrong in the body, and what exactly only a specialist will help you find out, sometimes you need to go through a whole medical commission to understand what’s the matter.
In any case, do not be upset and despair. Yes, the problem is unpleasant, but solvable.
An ophthalmologist or other competent specialist will prescribe a comprehensive treatment, and the patient will be able to forget about his trouble in a couple of days.
Swollen eyelids will not decorate any girl, what to do? The problem needs to be fixed promptly. The number of methods allows you to do this efficiently and safely. Beautiful, healthy eyes are the decoration of every woman, because the soul is reflected in them! So why not take the opportunity to be beautiful, it's so simple.