Coughing is a fairly common symptom that accompanies a cold in a child. With the penetration of the virus into the children's body, damage to the respiratory organs occurs. Because of this, the baby begins to tickle in the throat of the baby, a feeling of mild irritation forms, a natural desire to clear the throat appears. The symptom cannot be ignored so as not to aggravate the problem.
When a child develops a catarrhal disease, sputum production occurs in the body, which softens the throat. However, after a while, when the manifestations of the disease disappear, sputum excretion will be slowed down, the larynx will dry out, resulting in a dry cough.
What is the danger of a dry cough in a child?
A dry cough is a reaction of a child's body to an infection that has settled in it. You should know that, oddly enough, but a cough is considered useful, because it helps the patient so that he can get rid of harmful substances - microbes, viruses, mucus. However, when breathing is hard, the airways cannot be released, the baby does not manage to cough. In the body of a child with immunity weakened against the background of the disease, all metabolic processes, in particular protection against infectious diseases, are difficult.
Dry cough leads to the fact that the child recovers much more slowly, since it is not the removal of mucus from the lungs, but drying and absorption into the body of the child. This is the danger of dry cough. Therefore, it must be started to be treated as soon as possible.
What diseases can a dry cough be?
- acute rotavirus infections
- whooping cough,
- bronchial asthma,
- swelling in the respiratory system,
- the presence of a foreign object in the lungs or respiratory tract.
Parents must pay attention and immediately show the baby to the doctor if he develops an angry barking cough after eating. This is a sign of food particles entering the airways. If nothing is done, he will go to the paths in the respiratory organs or branching of the bronchi and block them. In addition, if stuck in any area, such a piece will not go through the process of chemical cleavage, as a result of which it will rot.
Dry cough that occurs in children during sleep can be a manifestation of sinusitis, bronchial asthma, whooping cough, heart failure, while attacks in the morning usually indicate a chronic form of bronchitis, a violation in the functioning of the digestive tract. The doctor must understand the diagnosis.
Signs of Dry Cough
It is usually quite easy to find a dry cough in a baby. Attacks occur several times a day, can be intrusive, then they can not be held. Moreover, it is similar to a dog barking, therefore it is called barking in another way.
Basically, seizures begin abruptly, unexpectedly, accompanied by spasms. Sometimes they do not pass for a long time.
Such a cough disrupts a child’s night sleep, may be accompanied by fever, but this does not always happen. In some cases, vomiting occurs due to a severe attack.
How to treat dry cough?
When a child develops a dry cough, it is necessary to take him to the pediatrician as soon as possible so that he prescribes the appropriate treatment. It is impossible to select medicines on your own in this case, otherwise dangerous consequences can be provoked. The treatment method should be selected only by the doctor. The following are the most effective and most commonly used treatments.
In pharmacies, many dry cough remedies are sold.
- One of the most effective of them is Broncholitin syrup. Its composition includes plant components, so it does not pose a danger to the crumbs. The drug begins to act on the third day. For this reason, experts advise starting the application immediately after the first manifestations of dry cough are detected.
- Another effective remedy is Paxceladine syrup. It eliminates spasms in a short time, helps to soften the throat. Suitable for treatment and wet cough.
- Biocalyptol. The release form of this antitussive is syrup, which is intended for children, so it has a pleasant sweet aftertaste.
- If the coughing baby does not have a high body temperature, when choosing a cough medicine, you should give preference to such a medicine, whose action will be aimed at reducing spasm, eliminating sputum from the lungs, and softening the throat. Similar drugs of combined action include Codelac, Codterpin. You can use them to treat cough in children older than two years.
Along with drug therapy, it is recommended to use traditional medicine, which will help accelerate the healing process.
A method of treating dry cough, which has been tested by more than one generation, is the use of inhalation. They are considered a very effective procedure, during which attacks are reduced, the throat is softened. You can use a nebulizer for these purposes, or simply breathe above the steam.
In order to carry out the procedure, you need to use medicinal plants to make a healing broth. Sage, chamomile, eucalyptus are well suited for these purposes. You need to take dried grass, pour boiling water and cover with a lid. After insisting (after about half an hour) pour 500 ml of decoction into a saucepan, add a small amount of boiling water and carry out a procedure during which the child should breathe above the steam. At the same time, he needs to cover his head. It is necessary to explain to the baby so that he breathes as deep as possible.
This method of treating a long-term dry cough is suitable if the child does not have a fever. But we must remember that the procedure is allowed only after coordination of this issue with the doctor, who, after listening to the baby, will say whether he can be warmed up or not.
The dry cough compress is made on the basis of potatoes, which must first be crushed, honey and vegetable oil. The ingredients are thoroughly mixed, after which the composition is applied to the chest. Top should be wrapped with cling film and a warm scarf. The compress must be left at least four hours. Allowed not to remove it all night. Mustard plasters have a similar warming effect.
Medications can help get rid of coughing in the shortest possible time. However, they are not suitable for some children. This usually happens when a child has an individual intolerance to the components of certain drugs. In this case, herbs will come to the rescue, which are sometimes equally effective.
Plants that have an expectorant and mucolytic effect are thyme, coltsfoot, licorice. They help remove mucus from the lungs. From the listed herbs, infusions and decoctions are made. For an effective treatment, it is enough to pour boiling water and wait until it is infused, a couple of tablespoons of one of the specified plant. In a similar way, it is possible to cure a dry cough in a child. During therapy at home, not only herbal remedies can be used, but also other traditional medicine.
Folk remedies for cough
It is necessary that the means by which the child will be treated are absolutely natural, then they will not harm a sensitive child's body. Time-tested alternative methods of dry cough therapy meet this requirement.
But still, before embarking on such treatment, it is necessary to consult a doctor. In addition, you must first make sure that the baby is not allergic to the product that is planned to be used.
This tool - of course, takes a leading position among all who help get rid of a debilitating cough. Important - only warm milk can be used. The following treatment options are possible:
- Milk with butter. 250 ml is taken a tablespoon of oil. For these purposes, you can use butter or cocoa butter. If desired, honey is added.
- Milk with honey. For babies, a small amount of honey is added to warm drinks, and for older children, the addition of nutmeg, cinnamon and other spices is allowed. Added baking soda (¼ tsp) will also benefit, but not all children will like this drink.
- Milk with mineral water. Drinks are mixed in equal proportions. It should be noted that the mineral water should be taken alkaline, or soda should be added, but this will significantly spoil the taste of the finished product.
- Milk with figs. This recipe allows the use of both fresh and dried fruits. In the first case, about three pieces will be required for 250 ml of milk, adding which to the product, it is necessary to boil for one minute and, having cooled, you can drink. In the second - the fruits should be put in cool milk for 30 minutes, so that they are softened and only then put on fire for two minutes.
- Propolis. With non-passing seizures, you can use this tool, but only if the baby is older than one year. A couple of drops of propolis water tincture is taken and added to a third of a glass of milk.
- Ginger root. The product is crushed with a grater and poured with one and a half liters of fresh milk, a couple of tablespoons of green tea is added. Put the composition on the stove and wait until it boils. Insist half an hour. Breast babies cannot be treated with this tool.
- Milk and banana. Fresh fruit is crushed to a puree state, milk is added. A tasty and effective cough medicine is ready.
- Coniferous milk. To prepare such a tool, pine buds will be required. 50 grams of raw materials must be boiled in 500 ml of milk for 15 minutes. Take in small doses - a couple of sips after equal intervals throughout the day. The daily dosage is one glass of funds.
- Milk with garlic. Although such a drink cannot boast of taste, it is one of the best in its effectiveness. A few cloves of garlic must be peeled and boiled in a liter of milk until they are softened. Add oil if desired. For the treatment of cough in very young children is not recommended.
Mogul-mogul is an effective and harmless remedy that helps to quickly get rid of attacks of dry cough. For cooking, you need yolk, a small amount of honey and granulated sugar. Before you start cooking, you need to make sure the freshness of the product. The yolk is whipped with sugar until a homogeneous consistency is obtained. A delicious medicine the baby should drink up to four times a day for a dessert spoon. The tool helps to soften the throat, relieve irritation. The recommended dose is diluted in 100 ml of warmed milk so that the child drank. If he does not have allergic reactions to bee products, honey can be added. Children over three years old are allowed to add a spoonful of cocoa powder to the medicine. This tool helps to improve sleep, accelerate the healing process.
Dry Cough Massage
Using cocoa butter, the coughing baby is massaged by gently rubbing it in the chest and back. If the baby is more than two years old, you can melt the lard, add a few drops of camphor oil and honey, and massage with this composition. Usually, after using such a remedy, an improvement occurs quickly. The chest and back are massaged, tissue napkins are applied upstairs and left for three hours. After this time, with the help of cotton swabs, the remains of the composition are removed, the skin is thoroughly wiped.
Compresses with potatoes, low-fat cottage cheese, as well as massage of the chest, feet, and hands have a calming effect on the respiratory organs.
Dry cough fever
Not in all cases, if a child coughs dryly, his temperature rises. Treating such a cough at home is allowed only until it increases. If a similar symptom occurs, you must immediately call a doctor. High temperature suggests that the process of absorption of mucus into the baby’s blood has begun, because of which it can affect the internal organs. In this situation, without fail, the doctor will prescribe the baby antibacterial drugs. When choosing an antibiotic, factors such as possible individual intolerance, age, body weight of a small patient, the cause of the deterioration of the condition are taken into account.
If you keep a dry cough in a baby for a week, if signs of recovery do not occur, you need to visit a doctor. Children's health is the most expensive that parents have, so you need to protect it and treat it with all responsibility and care.
How to treat dry cough in children
Cough is a protective reaction of the body to various irritants that enter the respiratory tract. The function of a cough is to clear the airways of foreign bodies, viruses, bacteria, allergens, mucus and sputum.
Dry cough is also called unproductive, because it is not accompanied by the elimination of sputum. This is due to the fact that she is still not there or she is too thick. Dry cough is painful, exhausts the child, interferes with sleep, does not bring relief. Attacks of such a cough can turn into vomiting due to excessive tension of the abdominal muscles.
Do not leave a dry cough without attention. Consult a doctor to find out the cause of the cough and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
If the doctor has diagnosed ARI with a dry cough in a child, than to treat:
- cough softeners
- local anti-inflammatory drugs
- preparations for thinning and facilitating the separation of sputum.
Dry cough in the morning for no apparent reason of illness is often associated with dry air and heat in the children's room.
The general scheme for caring for sick children with dry cough:
- walks in the fresh air away from crowding (if there is no temperature),
- plentiful warm drink (unsweetened herbal tea, fruit drinks, especially cranberry, warm compote, mineral table still water) are suitable,
- maintaining the child’s room humidity and comfortable temperature,
- regular ventilation and wet cleaning in the house.
Proper care helps to cope with the disease faster and reduce the likelihood of complications. Drinking plenty of water is an important condition for recovery. A sufficient amount of fluid helps thin the sputum, facilitates its elimination, helps dissolve and remove toxins from the body, and prevents dehydration at high temperatures.
Dry Cough Medications for Children
With a dry cough, the doctor examines the child's throat, listens to the chest, and examines the results of the tests. A correctly diagnosed diagnosis allows you to assign the optimal treatment regimen.
Doctors include allergy medications, antispasmodics, antibiotics, and sedatives in the complex treatment of coughs.
The prescription of the drug for children under the age of two years is especially cautious: the cough reflex is still poorly developed, the child is not able to cough up well due to weakness of the respiratory muscles. A cough provoked by mucolytics and expectorants can cause vomiting in a baby.
What agents are used in the treatment of dry cough:
- local throat medications.
Expectorants work by diluting sputum, irritating the cough center, and enhancing the production of fluid secretions in the bronchi. This leads to the fact that the cough goes from unproductive dry to wet, expectorant.
For children, expectorants are prescribed as a syrup. When using them, parents are advised to closely monitor the development of possible allergic reactions to the components of the drug.
Common syrups - what to give your child from a dry cough:
- Dr. IOM
- "Bronchicum C",
|A drug||Child age||Dosage|
|Gedelix||Children up to a year||2.5 ml once daily|
|From year to 4 years||2.5 ml three times a day|
|From 4 to 10 years||2.5 ml 4 times a day|
|Over 10 years old||5 ml three times a day|
|"Doctor IOM"||From 3 years||Three times a day for ½ tsp.|
|From 6 years old||Three times a day for ½-1 tsp.|
|From 14 years old||Three times a day for 1-2 tsp.|
|"Bronchicum C"||6 to 12 months||2.5 ml twice daily|
|From 1 year to 2 years||2.5 ml three times a day|
|From 2 to 6 years||5 ml twice a day|
|6 to 12 years old||5 ml twice a day|
|"Herbion" with plantain||From 2 to 7 years||1 scoop three times a day|
|From 7 to 14 years old||1-2 scoops three times a day|
|After 14 years||2 scoops 3-5 times a day|
The listed drugs are prescribed taking into account age:
- for the treatment of children under the age of use "Gedelix",
- suitable cough medicine for children from 1 year old - “Gedelix” and “Bronchicum C”,
- for children from two years old, “Herbion” with plantain is prescribed,
- from three years old it is allowed to connect Doctor MOM syrup.
Mucolytics are drugs that change the composition of sputum, dilute and improve its discharge (expectoration).
- "Lazolvan" for children,
|A drug||Child age||Dosage|
|"Bromhexine" in tablets or syrup||Up to 6 years||Daily dosage - 12 mg|
|6 to 14 years old||Daily dosage - 24 mg|
|Over 14 years old||Daily dosage - 24-48 mg|
|Ambroxol, Lazolvan||Up to 2 years||2.5 ml twice daily|
|2 to 5 years||2.5 ml three times a day|
|Over 5 years old||5 ml 2-3 times a day|
|"ATSTS" in syrup||2 to 5 years||5 ml 2-3 times a day|
|6 to 14 years old||5 ml 2-3 times a day|
|Over 14 years old||10 ml 2-3 times a day|
Prescription of drugs taking into account age:
- common for pediatricians, a dry cough remedy for a child at 2 years of age is “Lazolvan”, it is used in a hospital as a solution for inhalation, and after discharge it is prescribed for use at home in the form of syrup (to completely complete the process of sputum discharge),
- from two years old, it is allowed to connect the drug “ACC” to treatment,
- children from 6 years old are allowed to prescribe “Lazolvan” for inhalation and “Bromhexine” tablets in order to improve sputum discharge and soften cough.
These funds are used very carefully. They are prescribed by a doctor in case of a painful cough, most often with whooping cough. Drugs in this group suppress cough, which is why mucus with pathogenic bacteria often accumulates in the airways. Unreasonable use of the drug without a doctor’s prescription led to laryngospasm in children, when the mucus that did not pass away on time provoked a sharp inflammation of the respiratory tract.
Common pediatric cough drops for children:
Pediatricians prescribe these drugs infrequently for a short period and carefully monitor the patient's condition. Never take these medications without a doctor’s prescription.
Topical treatments for sore throat
Local drugs for the treatment of throat are prescribed no earlier than three years. What is recommended to give drugs for dry cough to a child at 3 years of age:
The older children the list is supplemented with such medicines:
- Tantum Verde
Before using local drugs, it is recommended to rinse the child’s neck with water-salt solution, decoctions of herbs to wash off the mucus with bacteria. After this, lozenges or tablets are absorbed, sprays are used - depending on what the attending physician has prescribed.
Inhalations are carried out after consulting a doctor. If inhalation is done with an untreated infection and at a high temperature in children, bacteria and viruses will spread to a large surface, leading to a complication of the disease.
As prescribed by a doctor at home or in a hospital, children are inhaled with solutions of drugs. In complex treatment, this method gives good results.
The main goal in the treatment of dry cough is to help him switch to a productive wet cough. When treating dry cough, it is important to consult a doctor who will help determine the underlying disease and prescribe a treatment regimen. Do not prescribe medications to children on their own, according to previous appointments or the advice of friends, it is dangerous to health.
Dry cough in children: causes
Possible causes of the disease
Experts call a dry cough that does not cause sputum or mucus. Such a cough can be very strong and cause pain in the child.
Treatment of such a pathology is prescribed taking into account the reason that caused its development.
Most often, a dry cough starts to bother a child for the following reasons:
- One of the common causes that causes a dry cough in childhood is a cold. With its development, a viral infection penetrates the baby's body, which has a pathological effect on the respiratory system. The initial symptoms of the development of the disease are the appearance of perspiration and a slight irritation in the throat, which subsequently causes a cough. The progression of the pathology leads to the fact that the cough can become wet as a result of the appearance of sputum, which is produced by the body. After a while, when the disease subsides, the child may again visit a dry cough. The reason for this phenomenon is a decrease in the amount of mucus produced by the child's body.
- Another reason for the development of a dry cough may be the flu virus, the symptomatology of which resembles a cold. However, the condition of the child with influenza is much worse than with the common cold. The disease can begin with the appearance of a dry cough, which can gradually turn into wet.
- The presence of a large number of irritants in the environment can lead to a dry cough in the child. The body of a small child is too sensitive to the effects of adverse factors such as cigarette smoke, chemicals and dry air.
- In some cases, a dry cough may be the result of a pathology such as gastroesophageal reflux disease. The development of such a pathology in the child’s body is accompanied by a rise in stomach acid and stomach contents back along the esophagus. The reason for the appearance of a dry cough is the fact that stomach acid has an irritating effect on the throat.
- Sometimes a disease such as whooping cough can trigger a cough in children without sputum production. Such a pathology causes a bacterial infection to enter the respiratory system, which leads to the appearance of a cough with a characteristic buzzing sound. In some cases, the cough is so strong that it causes the child to cry, and the tongue sticks out.
What is the difference between dry and wet cough?
Cough is a protective reaction of the body designed to cleanse the human respiratory system from foreign objects, including pathogenic microorganisms.
The main distinguishing feature of a dry cough from a wet one is that it does not produce sputum. Often it is also called unproductive. Such a cough does not bring relief, but only growing discomfort and pain.
Dry cough - signs of the disease
Dry cough is often the result of progression in the child's body of various respiratory diseases. Such a cough has a traumatic effect on the respiratory tract, while not causing irritants to the surface.
A dry cough is not accompanied by a discharge of sputum and does not cause cleansing of the respiratory tract, and only one air is coughing.
Such an ailment is usually the result of progression in the child's body of pathologies such as:
- respiratory diseases
In the event that such a cough continues for several months, then experts talk about its transition to a chronic form.
The following cough should cause anxiety in parents:
- becomes barking and paroxysmal, and also does not pass for a long time
- occurs completely unexpectedly and lasts a very long time
- bothers the child at night and does not let him fall asleep
- provokes bouts of vomiting
- causes a severe allergic reaction
- combined with a rise in body temperature and a deterioration in general condition
Dry cough is most often one of the symptoms of pathology and the main task of a specialist is to find out which one.
How to recognize a dry cough in a child
Some parents call a dry cough if it is without sputum. However, the criterion for the presence or absence of sputum during coughing is insufficient to determine its variety. In children, especially young children, even with sputum in the bronchi, coughing may not be accompanied by its discharge. Due to insufficient development of the muscles of the chest, as well as a more viscous sputum consistency compared with adults, coughing up and expectoration of sputum in children may not be effective enough.
An additional sign that can help in identifying the type of cough is the establishment and determination of the source of its sound. A wet cough, with or without sputum, occurs in the vast majority of cases from the depth of the chest. A dry cough is formed mainly in the larynx.
The inflammatory process localized in the mucosa of the back wall of the larynx and pharynx provokes a feeling of tickling, soreness or “tickling”, a feeling as if something constantly interferes and annoys.
Due to the cough reflex along the nerve endings, impulses from the irritated laryngeal mucosa enter the cough center of the brain and stimulate coughing. A new series of coughing tremors causes even more trauma and irritation of the mucosa by intense forced air currents. This forms and closes the vicious cycle of dry cough, in which the cough itself causes the cough.
Unlike a wet cough, a child’s dry coughing episode can follow one after another without any relief. As a rule, with a wet cough, sputum discharge provides temporary relief to the child. But since there is no sputum with a dry cough and its true cause is irritation and dryness of the laryngeal mucosa, repeated coughing attacks only worsen the general condition of the babies. In severe cases, the cough is unpredictable and uncontrollable in nature, it becomes difficult for the child to stop the series of coughing attacks, to catch his breath or just inhale. The overall well-being of the child is noticeably worsening.
Another criterion that helps to correctly determine the type of cough in a child is its sound. With a wet cough with sputum, it is mostly deaf and gurgling. The sound of a dry cough is loud, rolling, crackling, horsing. Often it is also called barking because of its resemblance to a dog barking.
Dry cough exhausts and weakens the child. It is not possible to restore strength even at night, since bouts of dry cough do not depend on the time of day.
What can cause unproductive cough?
Most often, the cause of a cough in a child becomes penetration into the respiratory tract of various kinds of infections that irritate the walls of the bronchi or trachea. However, its other origin may occur, for example:
- ARVI: pathogenic microorganisms affect the respiratory tract and cause irritation of the cough reflex receptors.
- Vocal cord inflammation. In this case, the child has a so-called "barking" cough, or the baby begins to cough very quietly, barely audible.
- Chronic inflammatory processes in the upper and lower respiratory tract. They lead sputum to a state of very viscous and difficult to separate consistency.
- Penetration of a small foreign body into the respiratory system - it can be either a piece of biscuit or a small part from a toy.
- Gastroesophageal reflux. Coughing attacks are observed after eating or in a dream, when acid from the stomach enters the oral cavity, from where the baby accidentally inhales it.
- Inhalation of unpleasant odors and smoke, too much air in the room can also cause a child to cough. Usually it quickly stops when the room is aired.
- Allergic reactions are usually observed in the autumn-spring period of the year.
- Tumors of the lungs, heart defects (for diseases of a non-infectious nature).
Treatment of dry cough in children at home
Dry cough can be intrusive and intense, tire the child and disrupt his well-being. Therefore, treatment is aimed at softening the cough, and if impossible, at suppressing the cough reflex. Treatment must necessarily include exposure to the underlying disease, and not just the symptom.
Causes of Dry Cough
The main cause of dry cough is acute respiratory viral infections (ARVI). Dry cough is mainly characteristic of the initial period of the disease and is observed in the first 2-3 days of a cold. Viruses, getting to the surface of the upper respiratory tract, contribute to the development of inflammation, swelling and irritation of the mucosa of the back wall of the larynx and throat.
Dry cough is a typical companion of colds such as laryngitis, tracheitis, laryngotracheitis and, less commonly, bronchitis. In addition to the initial period of acute respiratory viral infections, attacks of dry cough in a child can also be noted at the final stage of a cold - in the recovery period, as well as some time after the illness. Usually it is characterized by separate obsessive coughing. This kind of cough is called residual dry cough. In some cases, a residual cough may occur within one to one and a half months after an episode of acute cold.
In addition to catarrhal respiratory diseases, a dry cough can also occur in a number of childhood infectious diseases, for example, whooping cough. Often, a dry cough in a child can be a manifestation of an allergic reaction, a result of irritation of the respiratory tract by vapors of any corrosive aggressive chemicals, the result of inhalation of small foreign particles suspended in the air (dust, ash, burning, smog and others).
Features of the treatment of dry cough with medications
The main method of treating dry cough in childhood is drug therapy, which includes taking medications. Doctors recommend that children under two years of age give medicines in the form of a syrup, however, and in some cases it can provoke the development of an allergic reaction.
It is important to remember that cough is the result of the progression of various diseases in the child’s body and drugs have only an overwhelming effect for a short time.
All drugs that are prescribed to eliminate the ailment in a child can be divided into several types:
- Mucolytics are expectorant drugs of direct effect, which have a thinning effect on sputum and help the child in its expectoration.
- Secretomotor expectorant preparations mainly consist of herbal tinctures. Their action is based on absorption through the stomach and stimulation of increased sputum separation.
- Antitussive reflex drugs have an overwhelming effect on the cough reflex.
Most often, the treatment of dry cough in children is recommended by parents using the following drugs:
- Herbion Plantain Syrup
- Isla moos
In the event that a dry cough is accompanied by an increase in body temperature, then treatment in this case is supplemented by the use of antibacterial drugs.
Dry Cough Disorders
To prescribe an effective treatment, the doctor must understand the source of the cough, and also establish the symptom of what disease he has become.
Dry cough is observed in children with the following diseases:
- Influenza, parainfluenza, respiratory viral infections. With them, a coughing plant, with pain in the chest, can sometimes turn into a "barking" or accompanied by gross wheezing.
- Pharyngitis. Here the cough is obsessive, annoying, there is also a sore throat and an increase in body temperature.
- Laryngitis. For laryngitis, a "barking" debilitating cough, hoarseness or complete loss of voice, the appearance of shortness of breath, signs of suffocation are inherent.
- Tracheitis. The cough is of a throaty, disruptive nature, it can also be accompanied by hoarseness or loss of voice, and besides this - a headache, fever. Sometimes coughing fits can be accompanied by vomiting.
- Bronchitis. Cough with bronchitis can be painful and tearing, and not go away right away. This is due to the strong viscosity of sputum, which cannot immediately separate. That is why coughing attacks are usually lingering and take away all the strength from a sick baby.
- Pneumonia. In atypical forms, this disease can begin in children with an unproductive cough, which then turns into wet. In addition, the disease is characterized by high body temperature (up to 40 ° C), severe general weakness, shortness of breath, pain in the chest area.
- Whooping cough and pertussis. These diseases usually begin with a runny nose and mild cough, which gradually intensifies and becomes spasmodic. It strongly depresses the baby and can even lead to a sudden stop of breathing in the child.
- Measles. In the initial stages of the disease, a cough may be present, usually dry and jerky, but may also be accompanied by wheezing.
- Tuberculosis. It is characterized by a long, ongoing, prolonged and uninterrupted cough.
- Also, a non-productive cough can be observed in children with helminthic invasions.
First aid for a coughing fit
With a coughing fit, the child needs help quickly. How can I help:
- Drink warm tea. The intake of warm liquid will soften the cough.
- Give peppermint candy, cough candy (if the child is more than 3 years old).
- Make a warm foot bath, then wrap the limbs in woolen socks.
After the intensity of the cough has decreased, you can proceed to the full treatment.
Antibacterial drugs: types and purpose
The main purpose of prescribing antibacterial drugs is the suppression of pathogenic microorganisms that caused the development of pathology.
It is important for parents to understand that taking such drugs causes a violation of the intestinal microflora. For this reason, for its recovery, doctors recommend giving the child medications that contain probiotics.
Antibacterial drugs are prescribed:
- with acute and chronic bronchitis
- with pneumonia
- with tuberculosis
- with pleurisy
- with tuberculosis
Treatment of dry cough in children can be carried out using the following groups of antibacterial drugs - penicillins, cephalosporins and macrolides.
Penicillins are usually prescribed during drug therapy with dry and wet cough. In the event that taking medications of this group does not bring positive results, then they should be canceled. The main antibiotics of this group are:
Cephalosporins are prescribed to children in the event that some time ago they had already received antibacterial treatment. In addition, antibiotics of this group are used if penicillins do not bring noticeable improvements in the condition of the child. The most effective antibiotics of this group are:
Macrolides are among the most effective drugs that are used to eliminate the inflammatory process in the respiratory system. Treatment of pathologies is carried out with the help of such antibacterial drugs as:
Reception of antibacterial drugs in childhood can be carried out only as prescribed by a specialist, since in some cases they cause side effects.
Features of the treatment of dry cough in children
Treatment of dry cough in children and the choice of medicines is a responsible and important process, which has its own characteristics.
- At firstas mentioned above, dry cough is not always a symptom of a common cold. So, the child should be shown to a specialist without fail and then clearly follow his recommendations.
- Secondly, when buying a dry cough remedy in a pharmacy, the form of the release of the drug should be considered. For example, small children are not recommended to give medicines in the form of tablets or capsules - their size often complicates the process of swallowing. It is preferable to use liquid dosage forms - drops, syrups, elixirs or solutions. The selection of their single dose depends on the age or weight of the child. Most liquid products are equipped with measuring devices, such as spoons or cups, for ease of administration and accuracy of dosing.
- Thirdly, not the least role is played by the composition of the drug. Before buying, you must definitely study the instructions - at what age the medicine is approved for use, how often and for how long it needs to be taken, what main and auxiliary components the manufacturer uses. Particular attention is required to study the section of contraindications and possible side effects.
- Finally, do not forget about the general rules - to provide the child with peace, limit his communication with other family members, especially if there are other children in the house, give enough warm water or make him drink as much liquid as possible (warm milk, tea). If possible, it is advisable to make the air in the room more humid. For example, use special moisturizers.
If we talk directly about the treatment of dry incessant cough, then here are traditionally distinguished several directions.
- In most cases, a dry cough develops against the background of colds as a result of the activity of respiratory viruses. Therefore, in complex treatment, doctors can use etiotropic antiviral drugs, however, to date, their effectiveness in the treatment of cough is not clearly proven.
- Since with a dry cough, the laryngeal mucosa is irritated and inflamed, it is recommended to use products that have a softening effect, for example, warm milk, honey, butter. They can not completely relieve cough, but they can alleviate the discomfort in the throat and the general condition of the child. For the same purpose, you can use a plentiful warm drink. This will help reduce intoxication and partially suppress the cough reflex. Just take into account the type of drink - fruit juices or fruit drinks rich in acid, on the contrary, can lead to increased dry cough due to irritation of the damaged mucous membrane.
- Another option is lozenges for resorption. They have a local effect, reduce inflammation, helping to reduce the severity of the cough reflex at the peripheral level. Such agents can be either of plant composition or contain synthesized substances. A number of lozenges has a combined composition, including an anesthetic (has an analgesic effect) and an antiseptic (provides antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects). When using lollipops and lozenges, the age of the child must be taken into account. To provide a therapeutic effect on the mucous membrane, they must be absorbed, however, babies often swallow them. Also, the child can accidentally inhale them, which threatens quite serious consequences.
- The fourth type of drug suppresses coughing at a central level, acting directly on the cough center. Such drugs reliably suppress the cough reflex and quickly improve the condition of small patients. Inhibition of the cough reflex and suppression of dry cough in this case is not dangerous. There is no sputum in the bronchi and lungs with a dry cough, and, therefore, suppression of cough does not entail its stagnation and possible negative consequences. Blocking the cough center allows you to break the cough reflex and open the vicious circle of dry barking cough. Reducing the intensity, frequency and severity of dry cough eases the condition of the child, makes it possible to relax from exhausting debilitating attacks and restore strength. Central-acting drugs are especially good at bedtime - after coughing attacks disappear, children can fall asleep normally and sleep soundly. Together, this has a beneficial effect on their recovery.
In what cases should I see a doctor urgently?
In any case, with a dry cough, you will need the help of a doctor. He will be able to correctly determine the disease, as a result of which this unpleasant symptom, and prescribe competent treatment.
However, remember if a dry cough is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- sleep disturbance
- shortness of breath
- the pallor of the baby
- an increase in his body temperature above 39 ° C,
- convulsive seizures
- with a whistling breath and signs of suffocation,
Your baby needs immediate specialist help and hospitalization!
If the treatment prescribed by the pediatrician did not bring relief, it is necessary to consult with a narrower specialist - an otolaryngologist. And also get advice from a TB specialist and pulmonologist.
A dry cough in a child can also be a consequence of chronic allergic diseases, then you will need to consult a doctor with an allergist.
If the baby is choking
When the baby coughs continuously, it can cause an asthma attack: he begins to breathe hard, due to a lack of oxygen, frantically catches air in his mouth, his skin acquires a blue tint. Delay in this case is unacceptable. Immediately you need to call an ambulance, then:
- provide a constant flow of fresh air,
- help to take a sitting position,
- unfasten the buttons
- try to calm and distract the baby.
Dry cough remedies for children
There are two types of drugs for the treatment of dry cough - drugs that affect:
- on the peripheral links of the cough reflex,
- directly to the cough center.
The second, as a rule, provide a more pronounced and prolonged suppression of cough. In addition, modern central-action preparations are highly selective. They selectively act only on the cough center and do not inhibit the nearby breathing center. In this they are fundamentally different from the first-generation medicinal antitussives based on codeine. Not inferior to them in efficacy, reliability and severity of antitussive action, new drugs have a good safety profile, can be used for a long period of time without the formation of addiction and addiction.
One of the popular centrally acting antitussive drugs is based on butamirate. This compound has a long practical use and has been well studied in clinical studies. Butamirate inhibits the excitability of the cough center in the medulla oblongata, and also has anti-inflammatory activity.
The main requirement for children's medicines for dry cough is their safety. Some modern drugs are approved for use even in infants - from two months. For them, drugs are available in the form of drops. For older children, you can use syrups and dose them with a measuring spoon.
The effect after taking this medicine develops after 30 minutes and lasts up to 6 hours, if we talk about liquid forms of release of the drug intended for children.
Of the representatives of antitussive agents with peripheral action, drugs based on prenoxodiazine. They also do not cause drug dependence, but only 3-4 hours are effective. That is, preparations based on it will really ease the painful attacks of dry cough in a child, but he will not be able to fully sleep.
How is the treatment of unproductive cough in children?
Before starting treatment for dry cough in children, it is necessary to establish the cause and the disease that caused it. Remember, only a specialist can choose the right cough medication for a child.
Therefore, we strongly advise you not to self-medicate your baby and recommend seeking medical help.
Most often, to achieve the desired effect, cough treatment should be comprehensive and include the use of drugs and distracting, general strengthening procedures.
If a foreign body
Sometimes a cough appears abruptly, without any reason. When a child coughs, but does not get sick, since there are no extraneous symptoms, the reason may lie in a foreign object that has fallen into the upper respiratory tract. In a sudden attack, it is primarily recommended to examine the throat. If there is nothing abnormal, then they put the baby with their backs to themselves, tilt them face down and lightly tap the palm between the shoulder blades. The foreign body must exit.
For the treatment of dry cough, antitussive drugs are used that suppress the cough reflex. Antitussive drugs are of two types:
- Central action - oppress the cough center located in the medulla oblongata.
- Peripheral action - reduce the sensitivity of cough receptors located in the respiratory tract.
Central-action antitussive drugs are used only for the treatment of older children. In young children, they can inhibit the respiratory center, which is located next to the cough, which is dangerous by respiratory arrest. Antitussive drugs of central action are prescribed for excruciating cough, which is accompanied by vomiting or impaired well-being. Such drugs include Butamirate, Glaucin, Oxeladine. You can give them to your child only as directed by a doctor.
Libexin belongs to antitussive drugs of peripheral action. Such drugs are used mainly for diseases of the lower respiratory tract.
To soften the cough, you can use lozenges that contain menthol or local anesthetics. Local drugs are effective for pharyngitis, as they reduce sensitivity in the pharynx. Decreased sensitivity softens the cough.
Alternative methods of treatment
Traditional Medicine Tips
Treatment of dry cough in childhood can be carried out both with the help of drug therapy and alternative medicine.In order to achieve a speedy recovery, experts recommend combining medication with alternative treatment at home.
Among a wide variety of recipes of traditional medicine, the following are considered the most effective:
- A good result is given by taking a medicinal mixture prepared from carrot and honey juice. Such a medicine is recommended to be taken several times a day in 10 ml.
- You can cook a radish with sugar according to the following recipe: the root crop must be cut into small cubes, put them in a container and fill with sugar. After that, put the container in the oven and bake for two hours. The prepared mixture must be filtered, the liquid drained into a separate bowl, and pieces of radish can be discarded. After this, the resulting drug must be taken several times a day, 10 ml before meals and before going to bed.
- You can quickly get rid of a cough with the help of figs, which are prepared as follows: several fruits are placed in a glass of milk and boiled until fully cooked. The resulting broth can be used not only in the treatment of dry cough, but also in pathologies such as whooping cough and colds. To take a decoction of figs in childhood is necessary in a warm form and before bedtime.
- In a meat grinder, twist the lemon and add 10 ml of honey to the resulting mixture. After this, the medicinal mass should be insisted for three hours, after which it can be taken 5 ml several times a day.
- Dry cough in young children can be treated with badger fat, which is used to rub the body. After this, the child’s body is wrapped up warmly and left for some time. In older children, badger fat is given orally, after dissolving it in warm milk and adding a little honey to the mixture.
Before starting treatment of a child with the help of traditional medicine recipes, it is recommended to consult a specialist, since some ingredients can provoke the development of an allergic reaction.
Memo to parents: what can not be treated for dry cough in children
In the treatment of dry cough, the main thing is not to harm the child. You can not give medications for dry and wet cough at the same time. This increases the amount of sputum. Due to the suppressed cough reflex, the body cannot effectively clear the airways of accumulated mucus. The result of this "treatment" can be disastrous.
Ointments and rubbing with a pungent odor should be used carefully. The strong odor of camphor, menthol or other components of the grinding can irritate the inflamed mucous membrane and cause a new attack of coughing.
Another "bad advice" for dry cough is mustard plasters. In bronchitis and tracheitis, they are used to reflexively increase blood flow to the respiratory system and increase sputum discharge. With laryngitis, such treatment can only worsen the condition.
If the cough persists for a long time, be sure to show the child to the pediatrician again. This symptom is characteristic of many diseases - from asthma to heart failure and rheumatic diseases.
In order for a persistent dry cough to stop tormenting the child and his parents, it is important to clearly understand what led to his appearance and how to cope with it. Properly selected drugs will help the child feel better, recover, sleep normally. But in no case should you neglect the advice of a pediatrician. Because behind the mask of an ordinary cough, more serious diseases can also be hidden.
The first thing you need is to provide your child with a bed or at least a less active mode of the day and a comfortable air temperature in the room. It is also necessary to monitor its humidity, since excessively dry air can provoke new attacks of coughing.
In addition, it is necessary to exclude extraneous irritating odors in the room in which the sick baby is located, and give him more warm drink, which will ensure the speedy removal of toxins from the body.
If the child refuses food, then do not force him. Make sure that the dishes are light and least irritating to the mucous membrane. As a rule, these should be non-fat soups without tomato or puree-like dishes, such as mashed potatoes.
Prevention of ailment
To date, there is no single way that would guarantee complete protection against cough. However, compliance with simple recommendations will reduce the likelihood of developing this pathology.
In order to avoid the appearance of cough in childhood, the following tips are recommended:
- wash hands as often as possible, which reduces the likelihood of viruses entering the body
- avoid contact with people who cough and especially during the epidemic
- saturate the child's body with vitamins and especially during the off-season
- ensure the child’s drinking regimen, that is, he should drink as much fluid as possible
- conduct hardening events
- to be outdoors more often
Often, coughing is a symptom of a disease that progresses in the baby’s body. It is for this reason that it is important that the treatment of the child is carried out under the supervision of a specialist, which will help to avoid the development of many complications.
Homemade folk remedies
There are quite a few cough recipes that you can use at home to relieve seizures in children, for example:
- Melt a spoonful of sugar, pour a little milk into the resulting mass, then cool and give the resulting candy to the child.
- Add honey to the black radish juice, take a dessert spoon after each meal.
- Mix carrot juice with milk, drink three times a day.
- Add honey to olive oil, drink a teaspoon two to three times a day.
- Brew medicinal tea based on a decoction of marshmallow herbs, marsh ledum, peppermint, thyme flowers, licorice root, thermopsis, coltsfoot.
However, with the use of folk remedies, you should be careful and make sure that your baby is not allergic to their components.
In addition, you can give your child warming compresses or put mustard plasters. After applying the compresses, it is worth putting the child in warm clothes to preserve his effect.
You can also carry out aromatherapy with lavender or eucalyptus oils. To do this, drop a few drops of essential oil in a glass of boiling water, and put it in the room where the child is most of the time.
Herbal medicine and folk recipes
Treatment of dry cough in children at home can be carried out using herbal medicine.
For treatment, medicinal plants are used that have an enveloping, anti-inflammatory, emollient effect.
The use of the following plants is shown:
- polysaccharide-containing herbs. These are plants that have a pronounced enveloping and expectorant effect. This group includes the marshmallow root, coltsfoot leaves, flax seeds,
- plants with astringent properties - St. John's wort, horsetail, knotweed,
- plants with desensitizing properties - black elderberry, string, chamomile,
- herbs with an antitussive effect - thyme, oregano, angelica rhizomes.
Decoctions and infusions are prepared from plants, and they can also be used for inhalation. Raw materials, or rather, squeezes that remain after straining, can be used to prepare compresses on the chest.
Herbal medicine should be approached wisely, plants are selected taking into account the existing symptoms and their causes.
Before using medicines, you should always consult a doctor, as some herbs have a high allergenicity or the ability to cause poisoning. For example, ledum (a plant with an antitussive effect) in children can cause hallucinations.
Badger or goose fat
A strong dry cough in a young child is treated with badger fat, you can replace it with goose fat. Apply rubbing of the chest, legs and back, do them at night. After the procedure, the baby is wrapped up, giving a good sweat. Older children are recommended to take fat and inside - on an empty stomach or before meals, 1 tsp. Dissolve it in warm milk, add a little honey to improve the taste.
Treatment of the underlying disease
Coughing is not a separate disease, but only one of the symptoms. It is ineffective to act only on the symptom and not treat the underlying disease.
Specific therapy depends on the cause of the cough:
Antibacterial agents from the macrolide group (Azithromycin).
There are no specific medicines.
In the early days of the disease, antiviral drugs are used: Remantadine, Oseltamivir, Zanamivir.
At home, the use of Heimlich can help - a sharp press in the epigastric region. Further treatment is carried out only in a hospital (foreign body surgery).
ENT pathology (postnasal flow syndrome)
The treatment is complex, consists of 3 components:
Remediation of the focus of infection. It consists in washing the nose and nasopharynx, gargling.
Local drugs. Drops with anti-edematous action (Nazivin) are used.
Systemic drugs. Herbal preparations are used (Sinupret). With a bacterial infection, antibiotics from the group of macrolides or penicillins (Amoxicillin, Azithromycin) are prescribed.
First of all, it is necessary to exclude contact with the allergen. Additionally, antihistamines and glucocorticoids are used.
With bacterial pleurisy, antibiotics are prescribed, with fibrinous - glucocorticoids. With exudative pleurisy, pleural puncture is indicated (performed in a hospital).
Dry cough: as manifested, features
In most cases, a cough is a protective reflex that aims to cleanse the airways. There are two types of cough: dry and wet.
Dry cough is not accompanied by sputum production. He is obsessive, intense, often disrupts a child’s sleep and well-being.
Dry cough often loses its protective function and does not help cleanse the airways. Such a cough becomes unproductive, harmful, tires the child. In this case, it is justified to suppress the cough reflex.
Dry cough occurs with irritation of cough receptors, which are located in the mucous membrane of the larynx, trachea, bronchi. Irritants can be dust, bacteria, viruses, allergens, mucus. In children, coughing can be triggered by a foreign body.
Dry cough can be acute (up to 3 weeks) and chronic. Acute cough can be effectively treated at home, chronic cough is difficult to treat.
Onion with milk
Fresh onions, which have a strong irritating effect on the mucous membranes, in the smallest ones can provoke an allergic reaction.
Choosing what to give to a child under the age of 3 years, it is better to dwell on this recipe:
- One small onion is peeled and finely chopped, poured into a pan, poured with a glass of milk.
- After boiling, the fire is reduced, closed with a lid, left for 60 minutes.
- Cool slightly and knead in mashed potatoes.
- To improve the taste add a spoonful of honey or sugar.
Gruel is given a teaspoon every 6 hours.
Causes of dry cough
Dry cough occurs at the initial stage of airway inflammation, as well as with reflex irritation of cough receptors.
The most common causes of dry cough include the following diseases:
- acute respiratory diseases: viral and bacterial,
- pathology of ENT organs: rhinitis, tonsillitis, adenoids,
- whooping cough,
- hit of a foreign body.
The most common cause of dry cough. A child may be sick several times a year. ARIs are caused by viruses or bacteria that are transmitted by airborne droplets. This may affect the nasal cavity, throat, larynx, trachea or bronchi. In all cases, the cough is dry, but its nature may differ:
- with sore throat - obsessive, mainly in the morning,
- with inflammation of the larynx - rough, barking,
- with inflammation of the trachea - painful, horsing,
- with inflammation of the bronchi (at 1 week of illness) - loud, sonorous.
You can suspect acute respiratory infections by characteristic clinical signs at home. In addition to coughing, the child will have fever, weakness, runny nose, sore throat.
A method using a nebulizer is most preferred, since such inhalations are possible in children, starting from infancy. This apparatus grinds the drug solution to an aerosol state, which increases the percentage of its absorption by the body.
Due to this, the drug solution penetrates directly into the respiratory tract, which helps him most quickly reach the site of inflammation and overcome a dry cough in a child.
This is the first proven remedy that can give a child relief from coughing. The fastest way is a mustard foot bath. But you can do it only for children older than 3 years. For 5 liters of warm water take 1 tbsp. l It's minimum. It is recommended to soar feet for no more than 15 minutes, then they are wiped, woolen socks are put on, two pairs can be used at once.
Postnasal leakage syndrome
In the pathology of ENT organs, the appearance of cough is associated with postnasal leakage syndrome. The mucus that is produced in the upper respiratory tract flows down the back of the throat. This leads to irritation of the receptors, which provokes a cough.
Postnasal leakage syndrome in children is more common than in adults. This mechanism of cough development is characteristic of the following diseases:
- rhinitis - inflammation of the nasal mucosa,
- tonsillitis - inflammation of the tonsils
- sinusitis - inflammation of the paranasal sinuses,
- adenoids and adenoiditis - hypertrophy and inflammation of the nasopharyngeal tonsil.
Cough with ENT pathology is not very strong, worsens at night and in the morning.
Which solution for inhalation to prefer?
For inhalation treatment, an alkaline solution of mineral water (Essentuki No. 4, No. 17, Borjomi), saline or baking soda solution are used.
Eucalyptus, fir and anise oils are also used (except for inhalations with a nebulizer). Of the drugs, Ambroxol is usually used, which stimulates the production of sputum and its discharge (use only as directed by a doctor!).
Milk + Figs
Such a tool will help if irritation severely torments the throat, but does not cough. For fig medicine, take milk (1 cup) and 3-4 pieces of chopped fresh figs, boil until brown, then cool the drink. If the fruits are dried, then they are first soaked in milk for several hours, then boiled for 10 minutes. Children from 3 years old are given such medicine at night in a warm form, a portion - ½ cup.
In children, whooping cough may be the cause of severe coughing. Mostly unvaccinated children get sick. Whooping cough is a bacterial infection that is manifested by bouts of severe coughing. Attacks occur 10-20 times a day, may result in vomiting. This is a dangerous disease, as a complication of the disease can develop respiratory failure, convulsions, pneumonia and even death. If you suspect a pertussis, parents should definitely show the child to the doctor.
This recipe has no contraindications and provides a very strong therapeutic effect. Use unpeeled nuts. A glass of fruit is poured into 1 liter of milk, brought to a boil, then the fire is reduced to a minimum, boiled for 5 minutes. The composition is filtered, give the child every 3 hours for 1 tbsp. l With strong bitterness, honey is added to warm cedar milk.
In children, a foreign body in the airways may cause a sudden dry cough. Often this occurs in young children during the game with small details, while eating.A feature of this pathology is the suddenness of occurrence. In addition to coughing, the child is disturbed by respiratory failure. Help should be emergency.
A painful cough in a child can be cured by this root. For sore throats, frequent coughing without fever, ginger tea helps. For its preparation take 3 tbsp. l grated ginger, 5 tbsp. l honey, a little cinnamon and 4 tbsp. l lemon or orange juice.
- 1.5 liters of water are brought to a boil, pour ginger, boil for 5 minutes, season with cinnamon.
- Then remove from heat, cool slightly, add honey and juice.
- If ginger powder is used, the amount is halved, and the drink is brewed for 20 minutes.
Such tea is not recommended for a small child, and from 6 years of age, they give a decoction of ¼ cup once a day.
We offer you to watch a video on the topic of the article.
Education: Rostov State Medical University, specialty "General Medicine".
Found a mistake in the text? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
In 5% of patients, the antidepressant clomipramine causes an orgasm.
The weight of the human brain is about 2% of the total body weight, but it consumes about 20% of the oxygen entering the blood. This fact makes the human brain extremely susceptible to damage caused by a lack of oxygen.
Even if a person’s heart does not beat, then he can still live for a long period of time, as the Norwegian fisherman Jan Revsdal showed us. His “motor” stopped for 4 hours after the fisherman got lost and fell asleep in the snow.
There are very interesting medical syndromes, such as obsessive ingestion of objects. In the stomach of one patient suffering from this mania, 2500 foreign objects were discovered.
During sneezing, our body completely stops working. Even the heart stops.
People who are used to having regular breakfast are much less likely to be obese.
If your liver stopped working, death would occur within a day.
Many drugs were initially marketed as drugs. Heroin, for example, was initially marketed as a cough medicine. And cocaine was recommended by doctors as anesthesia and as a means of increasing endurance.
According to statistics, on Mondays, the risk of back injuries increases by 25%, and the risk of a heart attack - by 33%. Be careful.
The well-known drug "Viagra" was originally developed for the treatment of arterial hypertension.
The cough medicine “Terpincode” is one of the leaders in sales, not at all because of its medicinal properties.
American scientists conducted experiments on mice and came to the conclusion that watermelon juice prevents the development of atherosclerosis of blood vessels. One group of mice drank plain water, and the second a watermelon juice. As a result, the vessels of the second group were free of cholesterol plaques.
Dentists have appeared relatively recently. Back in the 19th century, it was the duty of an ordinary hairdresser to pull out diseased teeth.
Work that a person does not like is much more harmful to his psyche than a lack of work at all.
More than $ 500 million a year is spent on allergy medications alone in the United States. Do you still believe that a way to finally defeat allergies will be found?
Everyone can face a situation where he loses a tooth. This may be a routine procedure performed by dentists, or a consequence of an injury. In each and.
What if the baby suffocates?
With a strong attack of dry cough, the baby can frantically catch air in his mouth, his skin may acquire a bluish tint, or the child may completely lose consciousness. All this indicates the development of suffocation or asphyxiation.
In this case, you need to act quickly and not delay! It is urgent to call an ambulance, unfasten the upper buttons on the clothes of the child, to provide access to fresh air.
For the preparation of this tea 1 tbsp. l dry roots pour a glass of boiling water, leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Dosage depends on the weight of the child. 1/3 cup at a time is drunk by children whose weight is not more than 30 kg. 100 ml can be taken by those who weigh up to 40 kg, if the mass is more than 40 kg, then 2/3 cups are recommended.
If the cause is a foreign body
The cause of suffocation may be the penetration of a small object into the respiratory tract. You need to see if the child has a foreign object in the throat.
If you didn’t see anything, then turn the child with his back to him, tilt him face down and lightly tap between the shoulder blades in a downward direction, as if knocking a foreign object out of the baby.
If the question arises, what to give the child with a dry cough, then it can be answered monosyllabically - honey. It is used often and in various combinations.
Honey softens the throat with a superficial cough, which can be recognized by the hoarseness of the voice.
- Milk with honey. The most famous and easy recipe. In a glass of warm milk dissolve 1 tbsp. l honey. Give such a drink to children before bedtime.
- Honey with a banana. Knead the fruit with a fork, add ½ cup boiling water into a container, warm it up a bit, add 1 tsp. honey. They also give banana tea before bedtime.
- Lemon with honey. Squeeze juice from one lemon, mix it with 1 tbsp. l honey. Give 1 tsp. This juice can be replaced with carrot.
- Radish with honey. Mix the juice of one vegetable with 2 tbsp. l honey. Give the baby 1 tsp. thrice a day.
For tea, you can use both dry and fresh grass. Brew it in the same proportions as licorice. Tea is insisted for 5-10 minutes, lemon, ginger or honey are added if desired. Due to contraindications for children under 6 years of age, this drink is not recommended.
One of the most common methods, as helping a child with a strong cough, is to increase blood circulation. This effect is achieved by a warming compress. Thanks to him, sputum liquefies in the bronchi, and the outflow of mucus from the lungs begins. Contraindication to this procedure is fever.
For a children's compress, alcohol is diluted with water (1: 3). The gauze, folded in 5-6 layers, is moistened in a heated liquid, laid on the back or chest, avoiding the heart region, tied with a warm scarf and covered. Hold it for 20-30 minutes.
Alcohol compresses are done with great care. They are not suitable for preschool children.
What to drink with dry cough for children: medicines prescribed by a doctor
After the first symptoms are detected, it is necessary to consult a pediatrician, as self-treatment will provoke complications. Treatment for dry cough in children should be effective, but safe, because any drug can be used only as directed by a doctor.
- Antitussive drugs: Broncholitin, Glycodin, Codeine, Stopussin. Their purpose is to stop the cough. They affect the cough center of the brain. Among the components there are very strong, so such drugs require careful use.
- Mucolytic agents: Ambrobene, ACC, Herbion, Mukaltin, Fluimucil. Intended for liquefaction of sputum and its withdrawal from the bronchi.
- Combined drugs: Dr. Mom, Libexin, Linkas, Travisil. They contain several active components at once, they have anti-inflammatory, mucolytic and bronchodilating effects. Contain plant and synthetic substances.
If there is a high fever with an unproductive cough, then antibacterial drugs are necessary. But because of these medicines, dysbacteriosis begins in children, so you can and can give babies probiotics that quickly restore the intestinal microflora (Acipol, Linex, Bifidumbacterin).
The dose of all drugs is prescribed by the doctor, even if the parents are sure that they know how to properly treat their child and what medications to give him. The use of cans is also prohibited if the child is younger than 12 years old or has a high fever, pneumonia or tuberculosis. It is believed that this method is ineffective.
How else to alleviate the condition
If parents do not know how to cure a child’s cough on their own, they can create favorable conditions for recovery:
- In the patient's room, the air needs to be moistened if it is too dry. The optimal indicator is about 60%.
- An excessively high or low temperature is also unacceptable, it is better to maintain 20 ° C, since any deviations from this indicator lead to respiratory irritation.
- Regular airing and wet cleaning - every day.
- Drinking plenty of water is necessary to moisturize the mucosa.
- Inhalations are done only after approval by a doctor.
- You can’t force a child to eat.
But the main thing is strict adherence to all the doctor’s prescriptions, as self-medication can provoke a serious illness, which will be much more difficult to get rid of.