Recently, a simple, at first glance, question, how to disable the antivirus on Windows, often becomes a serious headache. Developers deliberately complicate this procedure so that, firstly, the antivirus cannot accidentally and unintentionally shut off the user himself and, secondly, so that viruses and other malicious programs cannot turn it off. The situation is even more complicated with the release of Windows 8 - the first version of the popular operating system, which includes Windows Defender (Windows Defender) - a software package that is an almost complete antivirus.
Released almost nine years ago, it is in second place in the world in terms of prevalence. According to statistics, 42% of users use it, appreciating the simplicity and flexibility of settings. So, let's look at how to disable Windows Defender 7. In this operating system, it is not integrated as deeply as in the subsequent ones. Defender does not yet have its own tray icon. Therefore, to get to its settings, open the control panel.
Having activated Defender, we move to the "Programs" area. Open the item "Parameters" marked with the number "2".
We move in the navigation area to the specified section. Uncheck the place indicated by the arrow. Thus, we will prohibit real-time operation.
We go down to the last section of the parameters. We remove one more check mark, completely prohibiting the use of the program. We save the performed actions by clicking on the appropriate button.
The system will report a protection shutdown and offer to configure the use of another program.
The system will report a protection shutdown and offer to configure the use of another program.
To disable Windows Defender in Windows 7 forever, you need to stop the system service. We will use the Run menu. Enter “services.msc” in the text box, as shown in the screenshot.
In the management console we find the Defender service.
Open the service menu for editing. We translate the startup type to the "Disabled" position. We stop the current task execution. Apply the changes.
In order not to receive notifications about an unprotected system, open the support center using its tray icon.
Click on the hyperlink in the area marked with a frame. Now Windows will not show tray status messages.
After completing the described actions, we completely prohibited the operation of the built-in antivirus protection.
How to disable Windows 10 Defender
In recent versions of Windows 10, disabling Windows Defender has changed slightly from previous versions. As before, disabling is possible using the parameters (but in this case, the built-in antivirus is disabled only temporarily), either using the local group policy editor (only for Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise) or the registry editor.
How to disable Windows Defender through Windows security settings
If you need to perform a specific task, and do not need to completely disable Defender, you can do this temporarily. To do this, using the search in the "Start" button, find the "Windows Defender Security Center" section, and select "Virus and Threat Protection" in it.
There, go to the "Protection against viruses and other threats" section and click on the "Real-time protection" switch.
After that, the antivirus will disable real-time computer protection, which will allow you to install applications or perform a specific task that was not available to you because the antivirus blocked the necessary action.
To enable real-time protection again, restart the computer or go through all the configuration steps again, but turn on the switch in the last step.
This solution is not permanent, but is best suited for disabling Windows 10 Antivirus for a specific task.
How to disable antivirus on Windows 7
- Go to: Start - Control Panel - Windows Defender,
- In the main window, select the “Programs” link and go to “Settings”,
- In the window that appears, select "Administrator", and uncheck (check) the function "Use this program",
- Click "Save."
This setting changes the startup type of Windows Defender (automatic / manual).
- Go to: Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools,
- Double click on the “Services” label,
- Double click on the Windows Defender shortcut
- In the new window, open “Properties”, go to the settings menu and indicate the type of service start - “Disabled”.
- Click OK
In this case, Windows Defender is completely disabled. It remains only to restart the computer.
How to disable antivirus on Windows 8
- We move the cursor to the upper right corner of the screen and select the inscription “Parameters” in the window that opens,
- Double click on the “Control Panel” link,
- Select the Windows Defender icon (with the image of brickwork) and go to the main service menu,
- Go to "Settings" - "Administrator",
- Set the mark (tick) on the command “Off. real-time protection. ”
If everything went well, the system should display a message “Warning, protection is disabled!”.
The simplest and most obvious option is to disable using standard settings.
- To begin with, you need to open a special menu for configuring antivirus - "Defender Security Center". You can detect this item using the "Search" icon, or among the standard and installed software in the general "Start" directory.
In Windows search, write “Defender Security Center” and click on the found item. The system will open the antivirus settings window, among the icons on the side panel, select the second item - the shield. This is the icon for the “Protection against viruses and threats” section, where you must select the settings sub-item located at the very bottom of the menu area.
In the section “Protection against viruses and threats” we select “Settings for protection against viruses and other threats”. Here we translate into the “Off” position all available sliders for offline scanning, as well as for work using cloud technologies. This will stop scanning existing and installed programs, as well as constant updating and access to virus databases.
We put in the "off" position all available sliders
McAfee protection is very reliable, but it happens that you need to disable it for certain reasons. This is not done in one step, because then the viruses that could penetrate into the system would turn off the antivirus without too much noise.
- Go to the section "Protection against viruses and spyware".
- Now in paragraph "Real-time verification" turn off the application. In a new window, you can even choose after how many minutes the antivirus will shut down.
Temporarily disabling the built-in Windows 10 antivirus by configuring settings
If you don’t need to completely disable the defender, and you just need to temporarily disable it to install any program, you can do this in the following way:
- Go to the Windows Defender Security Center. This can be done by double-clicking on the defender icon in the notification area at the bottom right and selecting "Open", or in Settings - Updates and Security - Windows Defender - Button "Open Windows Defender Security Center".
- In the security center, select the Windows Defender settings page - the “Protection against viruses and threats” item (shield icon), and then click “Manage settings” in the “Protection against viruses and other threats” section.
- Disable Real-time Protection and Cloud Protection.
In this case, Windows Defender will be turned off only for a while and in the future the system will use it again. Also do not forget about the possibility of adding a program to the defender's exceptions. If you want to disable it completely, you will need to use the following methods.
Note: when using the methods described below, the ability to configure Windows Defender in the settings will become inactive (until you return the values changed in the editor to the default values).
A few words about Defender Windows 10
Before proceeding to the step-by-step instructions for removing the built-in antivirus, first of all I want to write a few words about protecting the new tenth version of Windows.
Microsoft developed its own software to combat malicious files back in 2009. But only with the release of "tens", the Windows Defender utility acquired serious shape and began to "catch" intruders.
But I would not say that the full-time “defender” does too poorly in its task. If you are an experienced user and bypass suspicious sites, do not open files (letters) of unknown origin, then this software will be enough for you. Among its main advantages - low "gluttony" (in terms of resource consumption) and unobtrusiveness.
It integrates into the OS by default and is able to provide users with good protection against various spyware and viruses.
It should also be mentioned here that according to the results of recent tests, such an anti-virus program received very useful additions and became a cut above the previous versions. But the vast majority of users very often have some problems with uninstalling this antivirus.
- Firewall or Firewall. This software is designed to provide high-quality protection for your PC from a threat that can get through the Internet.
- Microsoft Edge Browser. The program is equipped with a function of passing the authentication procedure, modern technology Certificate Reputation. It is considered one of the most secure browsers to date.
- Windows Defender 10. Designed to perform the functions of the main antivirus program on your computer.
Windows Defender is equipped with a huge range of modules from the manufacturer, each of which performs a specific job (control over any changes, elimination of malicious components, and much more).
Windows Defender has these additional features:
- Keeps track of startup.
- Controls the correct order of OS updates.
- Controls the operation of drivers.
- Provides quality monitoring of security settings.
- Regulates the operation of files.
- Monitors the correct operation of all services.
How to disable Windows Defender through group policies
In versions of Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise, you can access the local group policy editor, where you can permanently disable Defender as follows:
Through the Start button, run the gpedit.msc executable script. The policy editor opens. Go to the following path: Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> Windows Defender Antivirus.
Double-click to open the option “Turn off the Windows Defender antivirus program.” Select the “Enabled” setting to enable this option, and, accordingly, disable the Defender.
Click “OK” and restart the computer.
After that, the antivirus will be permanently disabled on your device. But you will notice that the icon with the shield will remain in the taskbar - it should be so, because this icon belongs to the Windows Security application, and not to the antivirus itself.
If you change your mind, you can always re-enable Defender by repeating these steps and selecting “Not Set” in the last step, after which you will need to restart the computer again.
Using Group Policy Editor
This tool is suitable for special advanced versions of the OS, such as Professional, so if your device has a standard OS build, it’s better to use other methods.
- We launch the “Run” tool using the combination of the “Win” and R buttons. In the field for entering commands, write “gpedit.msc”.
Run the Run tool, write “gpedit.msc” In the immediately launched tool, you need to go through the following sequence of subsections: category of settings “Computer Configuration” - next the item “Administrative Templates” - category of settings “Windows Components” - the application “Antivirus program we need” "- activate (double click) the file" Turn off the antivirus program. "
Turn off the Windows 10 Defender antivirus program. In the window that opens, you must set the value to “Enabled” for this option. This will launch a tool that completely disables any activity of the antivirus program.
Set the value to "Enabled"
How to disable antivirus on Windows 10
- Go to “Start” - “Run” (or Windows + R), enter the text regedit (run the registry editor), click the “OK” button,
- Go to the next registry branch,
- We right-click on an empty spot on the left side and create a 32-bit DWORD parameter, which is assigned the name DisableAntiSpyware,
- Open this parameter by double-clicking and assign it the value “1”,
- Click OK
- Close the registry editor,
- Reboot the computer.
Now Defender is completely disconnected, you can check the fact of disconnection by trying to launch the "Defender" using the link "Open Windows Defender". If everything went well, a message should appear in response to his disconnection by Group Policy. To activate Defender, you must either delete the newly created parameter, or assign it the value "0".
The methodology for disabling the antivirus in Windows 10 is clearly shown in the video below:
How to disable any antivirus on Windows and not only antivirus
We figured out disabling Windows Defender, but with a similar question regarding anti-virus programs from other manufacturers, the situation is somewhat more complicated. The problem is that there are many developers today, and the description of the interface of their applications may serve as material for more than one article like this. We outline only the general path that must be followed
Usually, the antivirus icon is located on the taskbar, next to the clock. By right-clicking on it, you can find an inscription like: "Temporarily disable protection." This is true, for example, for the rather popular antivirus program AVG. The same click on the icon of the Chinese 360 Total Security will open a window in the upper part of which, to the right of the inscription "Protection on / off", there will be a slider, by moving which you can disable or enable protection. In general, you should open the user interface of the application and look for the corresponding function in the settings.
There is another, rather crude, but effective method with which you can disable not only the antivirus, but also any other application:
- Reboot in safe mode,
- In the Program Files directory, we find the subdirectory with the desired application and move it to another location,
- We reboot the computer in normal mode, not paying attention to possible system warnings in the style: "The required file or folder was not found."
It is clear that to restore the system in the previous order, you just need to return the moved files (folders) to their place.
In the end, it is worth noting: before addressing the issue of how to disable the antivirus on Windows, you need to think about whether this should be done? An operating system with a disabled protection system is extremely vulnerable, and recovering from a virus attack can be very costly and time consuming. Moreover, malware can be brought not only from the Internet, but also from any removable medium.
360 Total Security
Advanced antivirus 360 Total Security has many useful functions, in addition to protection against virus threats. Also, it has flexible settings that can be customized to fit your needs. Another advantage of 360 Total Security is that you can not disable components separately as in McAfee, but immediately solve the problem.
- Click on the protection icon in the antivirus main menu.
- Go to settings and find the line Disable Protection.
Defender got its own interactive icon in the system tray. Use it to open the Windows Security Center.
The section we need is the first in the general list and is marked with a frame.
Below the statistics is the control area we need. Click on the designated hyperlink.
We translate both of the switches indicated by the arrows to the “Off” position.
In the same window, we go down below and turn off the automatic sending of samples to Microsoft.
A notification message about disabling anti-virus protection will appear in the notification area. The Defender's icon instead of a green checkmark will be decorated with a red circle warning of potential danger.
In the early builds of Windows 10, if the user did not take any action, the resident scanner started independently after 15 minutes. After the release of the Fall Creators Update, the reverse inclusion is performed manually, separately for each parameter.
Critical to the system will only be tracking in the current time mode. The remaining two parameters can be left disabled. To prohibit the display of notifications about the current state, click on the hyperlink indicated by the arrow. Repeat this operation for the next section in the list.
Disabling Windows Defender 10 in the Local Group Policy Editor
This method is suitable only for editions of Windows 10 Professional and Corporate, if you have Home - the following section of the instructions describes the method using the registry editor.
- Press the Win + R keys on your keyboard and type gpedit.msc
- In the opened local group policy editor, go to the "Computer Configuration" - "Administrative Templates" - "Windows Components" - "Windows Defender Antivirus Program" section.
- Double-click on the option “Turn off Windows Defender antivirus program” and select “Enabled” (just like that - “Enabled” will disable the antivirus).
- In the same way, disable the "Allow the launch of the anti-malware protection service" and "Allow the permanent operation of the anti-malware protection services" settings (set to "Disabled").
- Go to the "Real-time protection" subsection, double-click on the option "Turn off real-time protection" and set it to "Enabled".
- Additionally, disable the option “Scan all downloaded files and attachments” (here you should set it to “Disabled”).
- In the “MAPS” subsection, turn off all options except “Send Sample Files”.
- For the option “Send sample files if further analysis is required” set to “Enabled”, and set “Never send” in the bottom left (in the same policy settings window).
However, this is not enough in the latest versions of Windows 10, it is additionally required to disable the Windows Defender service, and it just won’t be possible to do this in the services. About how it is disabled - in the appropriate section immediately after the next method.
How to disable Windpws 10 Defender
Starting with update 1703, the operating system has undergone changes in the settings. Therefore, if you have this version or higher (1709), then you should:
- Enter "Settings" through the "Start" menu:
- or you can press Win + X to call the main context menu and there you will see the desired item:
- Next, go to the "Update and Security" section:
- In the new window, go to the tab "Defender." And on the right click on the button "Open Security Center.":
- After the transition, click on the “gear” icon in the lower left corner of the window, and after that we find a link to control the search for viruses and other threats:
- It remains only to put all the switches in the "Off" position to deactivate the built-in Windows 10 antivirus:
After that, a message will appear in the notification area, which warns that protection is disabled.
But with a simple switch, the service is not completely blocked. She continues to live in the background processes, although she does not show the previous activity. To completely remove the built-in protection, you can use the following methods or use third-party applications, which will be discussed at the end of the article.
How to disable Windows Defender through the registry
If you do not have access to the policy editor, or you have installed Windows 10 Home, you can edit the Windows registry, thereby disabling Defender.
I remind you that editing the registry is risky, and errors in this matter can cause irreparable damage to the currently installed copy of Windows. It is better to backup the system before you start editing.
To completely disable Defender through the registry, run the regedit program through the "Start" button and go to it along the following path:
Tip: this path can be copied and pasted into the address bar of the registry editor.
Then, right-click on the Windows Defender key (directory), select "New" and DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new key DisableAntiSpyware and press Enter. Then double-click to open the key editor and set it to 1.
Click OK, and restart the computer.
After that, Windows Defender will no longer protect your system. If you want to undo these changes, repeat all the steps, but in the end delete this key or set it to 0.
Using Registry Editor
This method allows you to completely deactivate the antivirus in almost any version of the OS.
In order to stop the "Defender" you must:
- We call the “Run” special tool in the above way (Win + R), and type the “regedit” console command in it.
In the window “Run” and type the command “regedit”. In the editor field that opens, we go through the following sections: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, subsection with all the software on the computer “SOFTWARE”, category “Policies”, subcategory with the values of standard tools and programs “Microsoft”, folder "Windows Defender". In the opened directory, right-click (RMB), and through the "Create" sub-item, create our own custom parameter file of the "DWORD 32" type with the following name - "DisableAntiSpyware".
Using the “Create” sub-item, create a “DWORD 32” file with the name “DisableAntiSpyware”
This will create an additional system feature that will help completely disable the built-in antivirus software. We open the just created parameter, and in the values window that opens immediately, set the value “1” for this parameter. In the same way, we create value files with the names “AllowFastServiceStartup” and “ServiceKeepAlive”, and set the value “0” for each of them.
We create the “AllowFastServiceStartup” and “ServiceKeepAlive” value files, and set the value “0” for each of them. Next, you need to continue editing this section. To do this, select the “Real-Time Protection” directory in the same category (real-time protection). Here it is also necessary to create new parameters with a value of "1" - "DisableIOAVProtection" and "DisableRealtimeMonitoring".
Create new parameters with a value of "1" for "DisableIOAVProtection" and "DisableRealtimeMonitoring"
- "DisableBlockAtFirstSeen" with a value of "1",
- "LocalSettingOverrideSpynetReporting" and set the value to "0",
- "SubmitSamplesConsent" and set the value to "2".
Set values for a set of parameters
Thus, we completely disable both the operation of this program and the updating of its components, as well as the cloud resources for checking and downloading and installing fresh virus databases.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus is one of the most popular and powerful computer defenders, which after a shutdown can remind the user after a while that it is time to turn it on. This function is designed so that the user does not forget about ensuring the security of the system and his personal files.
- Follow the path "Settings" — "Are common".
- Move the slider to the opposite side in "Protection".
To completely disable Windows Defender 10, make changes to the work of Group Policy. Launch the Run dialog with the keyboard shortcut Win + R. We type in the input field the command to open the control console.
In the navigation area, successively open the underlined parameter branches, moving to the marked frame. Select it to expand the sections contained in the right half of the window. The value we need is indicated by the arrow.
Open the editor and translate the switch marked with the number “1” to the “On” position. Apply the changes.
Having opened the Security Center for verification, we will see a notification about the resident protection service stopping.
Attempting to restart it will result in the notification shown in the following screenshot.
In fact, there is no mistake. We just banned its implementation on our own. Changes made to the system do not require a reboot, immediately taking effect.
How to completely disable Windows 10 Defender using Registry Editor
The parameters configured in the local group policy editor can also be set in the registry editor, thereby disabling the built-in antivirus. Very important note: the latest version of Windows 10 does not allow you to change the specified registry settings until you disable Windows 10 Defender in the settings, as described in the first section of the instruction. In this case, you must also disable the item Counterfeit protection in the same options section.
The procedure will be as follows (note: in the absence of any of the indicated sections, you can create them by right-clicking on the “folder” located one level higher and selecting the desired item in the context menu):
- Press Win + R, enter regedit and press Enter.
- In the registry editor, go to the section
- In the right part of the registry editor, right-click, select "Create" - "DWORD parameter 32 bits" (even if you have a 64-bit system) and set the parameter name DisableAntiSpyware
- After creating the parameter, double-click on it and set the value to 1.
- Create parameters there AllowFastServiceStartup and ServiceKeepAlive - their value should be 0 (zero, set by default).
- In the Windows Defender section, select the Real-Time Protection subsection (or create one), and in it create the parameters with the names DisableIOAVProtection and DisableRealtimeMonitoring
- Double-click on each of these parameters and set the value to 1.
- In the Windows Defender section, create a Spynet subkey, in it create DWORD32 parameters with the names DisableBlockAtFirstSeen (value 1) LocalSettingOverr> This is done, but do not rush to close the registry editor: to completely disable the defender, you must also disable the corresponding service.
Disabling in the local group policy editor
This method is only suitable for users of Windows 10 Pro or Enterprice (Corporate). In the home edition, the method will not work.
- Use the keyboard shortcut Win + R. In the Run window, enter the following command:
- In the window that opens, on the left you will see a huge list of folders. Find the inscription in it: "Administrative Templates", then "Windows Components" and at the very end - "Endpoint Protection". On the right, find the option "Turn off protection.":
- A new window will open before you. In the left part, select the item "Enabled", click "OK":
As a result, you may notice a notice on your computer that Defender has stopped its work in the system.
The well-known Avira antivirus is one of the most reliable programs that will always protect your device from viruses. To disable this software, you will need to go through a simple procedure.
- Go to the Avira main menu.
- Toggle the slider in "Real-Time Protection".
Disabling Defender for earlier versions
In general, disabling this tool in an earlier version differs only in the location of some configuration components, and in order to disable the antivirus using standard tools, you need to:
- Open with the special key or with the help of the “Start” icon, and here launch the special settings tool “Parameters”.
We launch the special settings tool “Parameters”. Here we go to the system update and security settings section, select the desired submenu. In the same way as in later versions, turn off both sliders, thereby stopping the application.
Disable both sliders, stopping the application
Note! However, this type of shutdown is temporary. Unfortunately, the operating system is designed in such a way that it automatically deactivates the “Defender” action if it is manually disabled within 15 minutes after deactivating it in the settings.
Therefore, a change in the more fundamental system settings is again required here.
Disabling the Windows Defender Antivirus Service
In conclusion, it is required to disable the Windows Defender antivirus program service, and it will not work in services.msc. Disabling is possible by the following method:
- Go to the registry editor (Win + R keys, enter regedit) and go to the section
- Double-click on the Start parameter in the right pane of the registry editor and set it to 4.
- Apply the settings, close the registry editor and restart the computer.
Done, now Windows 10 Defender will not work.
Optional: In recent Windows 10 updates, the Windows Defender icon is displayed by default in the notification area of the taskbar. You can disable it by going to the task manager (by right-clicking on the Start button), turning on the detailed view and turning off the Windows Defender Notification icon item on the "Startup" tab.
At the next reboot, the icon will not be displayed (however, the defender will continue to work if it is not disabled by the described methods). To get rid of the notification that virus protection is disabled, use the instruction: Protection against viruses and threats - how to disable notification.
How to disable the built-in antivirus in Windows 10 using the registry editor
- Log in to the registry editor. To do this, simultaneously hold down the Win + R keys and enter the command:
- Carefully re-read the sections that appear and find there
- Create a new parameter (DWORD) named "DisableAntiSpyware".
- Give an alternative parameter by changing its settings (to disable the application, use 1, to enable - 0).
These are the three main methods I wanted to describe in detail to you. After completing all these actions, the antivirus will only bother with a message from its deactivation. Even if the shutdown did not happen, I will advise you to use the services of some software products.
Owners of the Home version, the distribution of which does not include the Group Policy Editor, to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 will have to make changes to the registry. Using the Run window, enter the regedit command.
In the editor, we go along the path marked with a frame. Having reached the Windows Defender folder, we call the context menu and create a new parameter of the type indicated in the screenshot. With the capacity of the system, this is in no way connected. For a 64-bit OS, anyway, choose to create a 32-bit DWORD.
Name the new parameter “DisableAntiSpyware”. Open it for editing. In the designated field, replace “0” with “1”. Close the registry editor and send the PC to reboot.
After starting the OS, the Defender service will be disabled. To enable protection again, the parameter we created must be deleted. Then you should reboot and manually start the necessary sections in the Security Center.
We use free software
Another good way to get rid of Windows 10 Defender forever is to use Destroy Windows 10 Spying. So you can “cut down” standard software not for a while, but forever.
This utility in its functionality is very similar to the previous one. When you activate the advanced mode of operation (the inclusion of which is carried out directly in the settings), you can easily cope with the task.
I really do not want to say goodbye, but on this my article "how to disable Windows 10 Defender forever" came to an end. In gratitude for your subscription I will delight you with newer, interesting and useful materials.
Using Edit Group Policy
The action algorithm for deactivating Defender by means of changes in the settings for the group policy as a whole is similar to the sequence of actions in new versions (see step-by-step instructions above). However, in the subsection of the “Windows Components” configuration directory, the settings for this program are called “Endopoint Protection” (the earlier name of this protection tool).
Disable both sliders, stopping the application
Similar to the method for new versions, here we open the option “Disable Edpoint Protection”, and set the status to “Enabled”. Save all changes with the OK button.
Open the option “Disable Edpoint Protection” and set the status to “Enabled”
If you need to check whether the tool is turned off correctly, you need to try to open this application using the shortcut, through the "Start", or in another way. If everything is done correctly, the system will display a message that the application was turned off.
If everything is done correctly, the system will display a message stating that the application was turned off
Well-known to all users of Dr.Web, which has a pretty nice interface, it requires disabling each component individually. Of course, this is not done as in McAfee or Avira, because all protection modules can be found in one place and there are a lot of them.
- Go to Dr.Web and click on the lock icon.
- Switch to “Protection Components” and disable the required objects.
Disable Windows 10 Defender with Freeware
There are many free programs that allow, among other things, disable Windows 10 Defender, among them the following can be noted:
- Winaero Tweker is a free program for configuring Windows 10 settings. Disabling Defender is available in the Windows Defender section. About the features of the program and where to download it: Setting up and optimizing Windows 10 in Winaero Tweaker.
- O&O ShutUp 10 is another free utility for adjusting the behavior of the OS where this option is available.
- Dism ++ Utility
- Win Updates Disabler. The program was created to disable automatic updates of Windows 10, but can disable (and, importantly, turn it back on) other functions, including the defender and firewall. You can see the official website of the program in the screenshot below.
Another option is to use the Destroy Windows 10 Spying or DWS utility, the main purpose of which is to disable the tracking functions in the OS, but in the program settings, if you enable the advanced mode, you can also turn off Windows Defender (however, it is disabled in this program and default).
If other anti-virus solutions have a special button for disabling protection and its components, then in Avast everything is different. It will be quite difficult for a beginner to find this feature. But there are several ways with different effects. One of the easiest ways is to turn off the tray icon via the context menu.
- Click on the Avast icon in the taskbar.
- Hover over Avast Screen Controls.
Disabling Windows 10 Defender Previous Versions and Windows 8.1
The steps required to turn off Windows Defender will differ in the last two versions of the Microsoft operating system. In general, it’s enough to start by following these steps on both operating systems (but for Windows 10 the procedure to completely disable the protector is somewhat more complicated, it will be described in detail below).
Go to the control panel: the easiest and fastest way to do this is to right-click on the "Start" button and select the appropriate menu item.
In the control panel, switched to the "Icons" view (in the "View" in the upper right), select "Windows Defender".
The main window of Windows Defender will start (if you see a message stating that "The application is disconnected and does not monitor the computer", then most likely you just have another antivirus installed). Depending on which OS version you have installed, follow these steps.
Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Security Essentials is a Windows Defender that is designed for all versions of the OS. Disabling it directly depends on the version of the system itself. The reasons for the rejection of the functions of this antivirus are that some people want to put another protection. On Windows 7, this is done like this:
- In Microsoft Security, go to "Real-time protection".
A universal way for installed antiviruses
There is an option to disable any anti-virus products installed on the device. It works on all versions of the Windows operating system. But there is the only difficulty, which is the exact knowledge of the names of the services launched by the antivirus.
- Perform a keyboard shortcut Win + r.
- In the field of the displayed window, enter msconfig and click "OK".
- In the tab "Services" uncheck all the processes that are associated with the antivirus program.
If you disable the antivirus, then do not forget to turn it on after carrying out the necessary manipulations. Indeed, without proper protection, your system is very vulnerable to all sorts of threats.
Thank the author, share the article on social networks.
In the "Registry Editor"
Working with the registry editor in earlier versions is much easier than in later versions, since it does not require changing many parameters, but just one.
The sequence of actions is the same again:
- We call the registry editor using the Run application with the regedit command.
In the window “Run” and type the command “regedit” We go through the already known directory from the main “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” - the program section “SOFTWARE” - hereinafter “Policies” and the folder with specific Microsoft tools. Last open to change the folder of our standard Windows Defender. Here again, it is necessary to form the editing file for the parameter “DisableAntiSpyware”, setting it to “1”.
We form the editing file for the “DisableAntiSpyware” parameter, setting it to “1”
Important! When the “Defender” is disabled on the first versions, the system can regularly notify that the tool is in the off state.
In order to disable these notifications:
- Using the search in the system ("magnifier" near the "Start" button), find and open the "Security and Service Center".
Open the "Security and Service Center" In the "Security" section of the main menu, click the corresponding option to turn off notifications.
Push the option to turn off alerts
Disabling Windows Defender using the command line or PowerShell
Another way to disable Windows 10 Defender (though not forever, but only temporarily - as well as using the parameters) is to use the PowerShell command. Windows PowerShell should be run as administrator, which can be done using the search in the taskbar, and then the right-click context menu.
In the PowerShell window, enter the command
Immediately after its execution, real-time protection will be disabled.
To use the same command on the command line (also run as administrator), simply enter powershell and a space before the command text.
Using Power Shell
This tool disables the “Defender” just until the next reboot, however, it is useful if entering the settings for any reason is not possible.
1. First of all, you should find "Windows Power Shell" in the search on the "Toolbar" and start it.
Find "Windows Power Shell" in the search on the "Toolbar"
2. On the command line that appears immediately, you need to drive the command "Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $ true".
We write the command "Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $ true"
Done! Defender will stop working until the system restarts.
Turn off the Virus Protection Enabled notification
If after the actions to disable Windows 10 Defender the notification “Turn on virus protection. Virus protection is disabled ”, in order to remove this notification, you can follow these steps:
- Using the search in the taskbar, go to the "Security and Service Center" (or find this item in the control panel).
- In the "Security" section, click "Do not receive more messages about anti-virus protection."
Done, in the future you will not need to see messages that Windows Defender is disabled.
For windows 8.1
You can get into the built-in antivirus settings environment in this OS version as follows:
- Open the Start menu.
Open the Start menu. Go to the "Application Panel", where the entire standard set of programs and tools is located.
Go to the “Application Panel”. Here we select the item “Control Panel”.
We select the “Control Panel” item. In this panel, after switching to the “Icons” mode, we select the “Windows Defender” item.
Select the item "Windows Defender"
Note! Please note that in some assemblies of this version of the operating system, this component has the original name in English - “Windows Defender”.
Uncheck the security tool to stop functioning
Windows Defender writes Application is disabled (how to enable)
Update: I prepared updated and more complete instructions on this topic: How to enable Windows 10 Defender. However, if you have Windows 8 or 8.1 installed, use the steps described below.
If, when you enter the control panel and select the "Windows Defender" item, you see a message that the application is disconnected and does not monitor the computer, this can tell you two things:
- Windows Defender is disabled because another antivirus is installed on your computer. In this case, you should not do anything - after uninstalling a third-party antivirus program, it will turn on automatically.
- You yourself turned off Windows Defender or it was disabled for some reason, here you can turn it on.
In Windows 10, to enable Windows Defender, you can simply click on the corresponding message in the notification area - the system will do the rest for you. Except for the case when you used the local group policy editor or the registry editor (in this case, you should do the reverse operation to enable the defender).
In order to enable Windows 8.1 Defender, go to the Support Center (right-click on the “flag” in the notification area). Most likely, you will see two messages: that protection against spyware and unwanted programs is turned off and protection against viruses is turned off. Just click "Enable Now" to start Windows Defender again.